Rigging lines

flushcut

TreeHouser
How often do you guys trim the ends off of you lines?
The reason I ask is when we were using the forestry mower we got a chunk jammed in the Fecon. The only rope I had was old snarly the retired 1/2 SB line. So I tied it to the chunk and to the tree and pulled and the rope broke with surprising little pull, retied and it broke again all with in five feet of the end of the rope. Third time the chunk pulled free with a noticeably harder pull as it fused the knots. Ok yes a 1/2 line is no match for a 98hp 15,000lb machine.

...usually it is th end(s) that take the beating. I often choke up a bit avoiding the last few feet on my 5/8 to be sure. Probably should just trim it.

If you don't think you were pulling hard, I'd throw the entire hank in the burn pile

And if the rope is good, I'd re think how hard you're pulling on stuff and figure out how to rig or cut so you're not pulling that hard

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Na old snarly is still good for pulling logs in the mud and similar work but nothing dangerous. The third pull was hard it fused the double bowline around the tree and was cut out.

Just trimmed my 200' 5/8 , now a 175'. Two beat ends and a damaged section. Did salvage 18' to use as a sling for LG. POW. Put it off forever , now I feel better.

Yep , I'm on it ... Also made the GRCS faceplate fit into a milk crate for transport by pulling the pin on the strap side. As long as it takes to set up it's easy to put pin in w retainer clip. Now the Big Pelican Case holds all the rigging lines nice and safe.

Rigging lines in a pelican case? I'm out now, but it would've always been a bag for my rigging lines.

Prob pull just the ones I'll need on any job (doubt there would be one job that I would need them all) , keeps them all safe as I lack a good shop or garage at this point.

Ahhh. Makes sense. I always left my rigging lines bagged on the truck though in cabinets. They never went to the shop much at all. The odd time to dry out, but we're quite dry here, it didn't need to happen often.

i always kept different colored lines, with contrasting color ends;
to kinda try to to keep track of what end used mostly, and reverse if needed(depending on wear point)
Also good for saying to bring the red end of blue.
i also always kept a fresh rope in bag that would be used with in the year.
No bluffing, it's rite there, break it out if needed or sell to buddy to insist they replace rope, and i'd order another..
i also plot downgrade paths for lines for lesser rigging, tiedowns, dragging, short rig line, short lifeline etc.
This includes downgrade lifeline to rigging (never opposite direction).
If i thought had a beat up rope and wanted to break out new rope, that might become my climbing line and old climbing line rigging line if looking for 1/2" rigging line.
New line feels better, has more elasticity, and this maintains life support first mantra expressed in everything you do.

Back