Best SRT device for Pitchy trees

Climbhigh

TreeHouser
I Find myself in allot of sappy Pitchy trees.My Rope wrench came to a screetching halt the other day , had to buck in and remove my hitchcord and clear some of the sap before I could move again. I've also had similar problems with the unicender. I'm guessing the HH wouldn't work much better being hitch based. Anybody have any experience with the Rope Runner or Bull Dog Bone in these conditions?

Yup, HH will lock up once the bone or the biner catches some pitch. Haven't had it stick the hitch cord, 'cuz the mechanical points are first to stick when descending.

RR or bulldog would be your best bet

rope on rope no good for pitchy pines

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I will order up a Rope Runner. Any recommendations on the ideal Rope for the RR ? I will be using it in the 100 to 150 ft range.The SRT ropes I have on hand are : Velocity, Tacheon, Kernmaster and Tendril. If any of those will work. Thanks

I agree with Nick. There's nothing for it.

Maybe just a few cheap hitch cords. Splice up a bunch of Tenex and take an extra one up with you. . . but the rope gets all gooberd up too, even SRT.

Order a RR and let us know what you find 8)

This thread comes at a weird time. I was in the pitchiest pines I've ever been in (almost) yesterday. Have to go up em again today. A VT is useless... not to derail.

I have an RR and a BDB. Like Nick said, everything hates pine sap, it's a pitch. The plus side to a mechanical is they are easy to clean and come out like new having done so.

Margarine works great for cleaning pitch off glasses, face etc. Maybe it would work on gear without using something toxic. Real butter doesn't work, for some reason it has to be margarine.

Yeah, margarine or butter wouldn't be recommended for ropes for a number of reasons. Probably be fine for hardware is what I was thinking.

Huh, I have always used butter on hair and around the eyes.

Either margarine or butter may make ropes more interesting for rodents to chew.

Margarine my be a better choice for rope chewing squirrels with high cholesterol

Margarine works great for cleaning pitch off glasses, face etc. Maybe it would work on gear without using something toxic. Real butter doesn't work, for some reason it has to be margarine.

in a pinch, gas station mayo packet laying around the truck, followed by soap and water. haha, but true.

Tried a few devices on a pitched up rope including my new RR. Rope is Tendril with a 10ft section slathered in pitch (not on purpose) starting about half way up to a 100ft TIP. Anyway, tried RW first with new RIT 9mm VT : stopped dead in tracks on the pitchy spot, went back down tied some Icetail in a VT went back up, same thing, could not advance.Went back down stuck a Unicender on the same rope, made it all the way to the TIP, did not notice any tending issues. Decending with the UNI was a little sticky through the pitchy spot but managable. Now the RR: ascending wasn't as good through the pitch as the UNI but hardly slowed me down. Decending got a bit jumpy through the pitchy spots, but this is also my first go on the RR. So then just to see what would happen I tried the RW again, it made it about 5 more feet than before and then locked up on the ascent . Not the most scientific study but for today I score mechanicals (1) and Hitchcord (0) on pitched up rope.