Harness opinions

flushcut

TreeHouser
So I am getting closer to pulling the trigger on my zip line and want some opinions on harnesses that will fit a wide range of people, cheaply. Bear in mind I am the only tree guy/climber in my family so I would need to supply the gear for them and any guests. I would like to keep it to a budget of under $200, way under if possible. Thanks gents/ladies!

DMM made a one size fits all sit harness, from 10" waist to 42", or something ridiculous. A basic one size harness, with an add-on bosun seat might be a consideration. Rock climbing harnesses are way cheap these days, and made for holding a person upside down/ fall arrest. Unless you're reasonably lightweight, rock harnesses are not so comfy for hanging around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have thought of rock climbing harnesses and that is probably the way I am going to go, but I wanted some opinions. The New Tribe twist looks like a contender.

I see your point but I do not live in a third world country so hemp and jute is out. :)

I would go with a rec tree harness like the new tribes, or a rock climbing harness. The rock climbing harness that gyms usually have for rentals will fit a very wide range of sizes and will be comfy enough for a zip line. I would consider giving you my first harness which is almost identical to the rental ones, but it is about 20 yrs old and they are supposed to be retired after 5

Thank you but I am gonna have to pass. The Black Diamond Vario Speed harness it is, cheap $45.

$45 is kind of hard to beat. At that price I can buy three of the Vario's and be in budget.

$45 is kind of hard to beat. At that price I can buy three of the Vario's and be in budget.

Yeah, but after those leg straps dig in, they may never be willing to try climbing again.

When faced with the same problem, I went with the NT Twist.

Bought a Twist for my 5 year old two weeks ago. Fits him well. I'm a slim 30" waist and decided to try it. Fits me with about 4" of extra waist strap and at least an inch on the leg straps.

As others have stated, the twist has a wide range of adjustment. I've had my thin daughter in it and my not so thin self with adjustment left in in both directions. It takes a bit of adjusting to make large size changes but doesn't take long once you've used it a few times. My daughter liked it and while my Onyx is more comfortable for me, I find it far superior to a rock climbing saddle.

Back