New bucket

I am interested in what is better than a straight boom and why it's better for tree work (trimming.) I have heard Carl say that too. Maybe that should go over to Carl's Nifty thread though.

And, with regard to rear mount bucket, what has that be better?

You need articulation of the booms to get around limbs.

802climber, what is max reach on your truck? (Side reach on a bucket is nearly the same as max height right?) And what are you liking about that designs working characteristics?

You can pull a 60' spider with a half ton truck, you're looking at 5-6klbs for the spider.

Adding outriggers to the truck to stabilize the lift wouldn't work practically, huge liability to contend with and the lifts aren't made to be stabilized except through their outriggers. Your best bet would be to have a truck with a low enough deck to enable the outriggers to reach the ground. That's doable, although I haven't seen many American based trucks configured that way.

Again, your best bet would be to follow the crowd and get a narrow trailer built to enable the outriggers to reach the ground. That way you're not tying $40k+upfitting on a truck that can only do one thing. Still, if someone wants to pay for it, I'd be happy to make it happen!

I am interested in what is better than a straight boom and why it's better for tree work (trimming.) I have heard Carl say that too. Maybe that should go over to Carl's Nifty thread though.

And, with regard to rear mount bucket, what has that be better?

I'm very much fond of the SD64's telescoping upper boom with the jib and elevator style lower boom. Full reach up to 33', 60' high and still 30' of side reach. The telescoping boom squirts through limbs/holes without scratching the boom up.

Hmm....

To the getting around limbs concept. (Not picturing it.)

Here you can see I cut the trunk down far enough so I can squirt to the next trees and work over the spar without touching the boom. With a straight boom you can't get lower than the angle fro m the turret of the lift over the top of the stem. That's a weak example but I do happen to have it on video and that's why I cut the spar down to the point I did. Another example on that same job was trimming the limbs off the roof at either end. I raised my lower boom then squirted over to the limbs that needed to be removed. On the left side of the house I had to go up and over a couple dogwood trees, on the opposite side I had to go up and over the edge of the roof.

Ive been thinking about a flatbed trailer that is low enough so the lift could put its outriggers down. Then add a lighter chipper in the front, idealy on a swivel base... The bomb. Or the same trailer with a platform in the front that you could roll a chipper up onto, or a mini or a stump grinder.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
ALC guys what do you run your truck at, 1200 RPM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on how fast you want the booms to run. I ran mine around 1000 rpm.

Hows the truck doing for you.

I remember doing a big job with three buckets flying. My bucket had a pony motor with an adjustable throttle. We were paid a bonus on how many trees we did, so I had that sucker idled UP!!!

Do they even make bucket trucks with pony motors anymore? I kinda liked em...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would like to have one.. Truck is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back