Could Friction Saver rings get hot enough to compromise dyneema?

Sgriff

TreeHouser
I recently spliced up a FS using samson warp speed/dyneema core. Did overlapping taper,straight bury.I tucked and buried the cover over the base of the eye,lock stitched and whipped

Got me thinking...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 79
I think X-man had some measurements taken on his X-rings with dyneema. Perhaps a search of that might find it for you, give you a general idea of temps.

You could do a less official test where you have the ground guy stop the load, then have the climber grab the ring bare handed, then let the piece basically free fall and see if the heat makes it up to the dyneema.

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea i read something that xman posted ,thats what really got me wondering.

the rings are different in design obviously ,but also this is just for my tip, no rigging .

i suppose that is a more important load,i guess whipping up a simple FS and running a test with a running load would be a damn fine idea lol ,just figured I'd ask some knowledgeable people's opinions and experiences prior to engaging in personal testing, i would obviously want to use the right tool for the job if dyneema is not the proper one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seems that the statement xman made had typeo

64311bcb9bce3130bd26b3868d45b929.jpg
b2da76c7c283fefdab54a76b8266fcca.jpg

He mixed f with c.... I dont think i need to worry lol

Well, this advice might suck if temperatures exceed the limits, but there are temperature indicating paints and labels, apply to the rings in a few spots and burn down......err..... go down fast...... I use the paint sticks myself for preheating metal parts to a specific temperature. Welding supply would have higher rated ones but lower temps would have to be an internet purchase.

Back