My new property and shop

sotc

Dormant hero!!
So we're pretty sure we're going to buy this 5.38 acres from my father in law. The shop is 24x36 with a 50 amp panel. It isn't tall enough for my big trucks, has a lean to on the back. I was thinking of tearing down the lean too and basically doubling the square footage with a taller shop. I could circle the trucks around the shop and park them in the back. Help me dream up what I need guys. I'll provide pics and measurements and maybe use some ideas that I can afford.
83e51f0cf730729e8fc5edc3b35dea5d.jpg
d6a50aae260316c5f6a9b4f06908af1a.jpg
2a5932f3b8e306a7448ca8a684f54400.jpg
94c515fc0ad1f92e57ac17201482b60a.jpg
8bdcfdced51e9a09411d25ff1b33b30c.jpg

Looks nice man. I'm not sure what/how you would tear down the lean too and make a taller attached shop? Or were you thinking of raising the roof on the existing shop? My shop is a 10' door, sucked not being able to roll the boom in.

More space is always a good thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, not sure how to butt them up either, unless the old part had a lean to type roof as well. Tapering away from the tall side

Check around nearby for businesses going under who might sell their building.
If you can take one apart, and bring it home a trailer load at a time... could be a Treehouse barn raisin' in our future.
Looks like you have room to work with. How are the building codes in your area?

First thing you need to do is find a good tree company that can take down those big trees for you.

:P

Ha! You are gonna have fun making this come together..will be good to see.

Check around nearby for businesses going under who might sell their building.
If you can take one apart, and bring it home a trailer load at a time... could be a Treehouse barn raisin' in our future.
Looks like you have room to work with. How are the building codes in your area?
I actually did look on craigslist today for buildings! Shouldn't need permitting where I'm at for a shop. :cool:
First thing you need to do is find a good tree company that can take down those big trees for you.

:P

Ha! You are gonna have fun making this come together..will be good to see.
I'll try hard Gary! The one in front of the shop has a bunch of armillaria conks, it'll come down toot sweet

That is great news, Willie.
I remember the place from when I visited.
I really liked it a LOT.
Nice property and room to expand.

Yeah Jed, not far from Clarence and yes, Oregon white oak. Nothing big but a few nice ones I'll put up more pictures of the property later, headed to the river for the morning! Man I love the Rogue Valley!

I'll have to think on the oil pit, I like idea but the week is only 30'!

Congrats, Willie! We're looking for a shop right now and I'm super jealous of all that land you have!

I'm a huge fan of using shipping containers as part of the building structure.

love
nick

I'd be that guy and ask, "what are the school districts like?"

That is just the parent in me asking. I am about to buy my 2nd home for the above reason. Plan on living there until kids GTFO and then sell so I can move to a place with lower prices and sub-par schools.

I'll have to think on the oil pit, I like idea but the week is only 30'!
The WELL is only 30'.

I think I'd have to side over the sea containers to make my wife happy but I'll look more into that idea.

For our area it's actually a great school district. They'd go to Sam's Valley elementary winch has a good reputation. Both properties we got serious about were in that district. Most schools, including this one, are "low income" "free lunch" schools. I think it's over inflated on those numbers but what are you going to do.

Here's the outline of the property. My father in law had an almost acre rental property just off the driveway that recently burned. If we do this deal he will build a new home for himself there. It will be nice as he's 73 and will need help in the coming years. Another neat thing is this property is where we had our wedding ten years ago.
2076d5dfb1582f1ad6c0b82ad68da093.jpg

Sounds like a great deal.

We have my parents on site now, Dads 75 and healthy as a horse but it's definitely the way to go for whatever the future holds.

This is the back of the house from the shop.
0639303ddcdb5b1b546a2f23d8e05102.jpg

The circle drive from the shop.
663851f1b98577e1a5b2e121154ad2ba.jpg

Front of the house.
fffa7bbd8a2c66b184b9b5c375bf76b3.jpg

The main field from the house. He wants to farm this another couple years. I'd probably put it into pasture after that and run steer on it.
01d4febeb9fba7bb561f957fccaf86b5.jpg

There's another strip of field beside the house as well.
That's cool Peter, I think it'll work out well for us too.

Steve, bring your lady for a river trip this summer!

Back