California Drought Tree Mortality Meeting 2015

Scary and worse for me. Beetle kill is one thing. I can wrap my mind around that. But along the coast here and inland I am seeing a lot of pine dye off that starts out in the needles and rapidly works its way in to engulf the whole tree.

Also some sort of Redwood tree die back and mortality that starts out in the needles. And to top it off Euc trees dying from bugs working the leaves. (Over from Australia as I understand it. )

I have always thought of Redwoods and Eucs as impervious. Guess not.

CA could be a different place if we have 1/3 less trees in 2020 than we did in 2010.

Does anyone see die back and mortality in any of the big redwoods north of Santa Rosa?

My coast redwoods died/ are dying this year. About 5 years old. Starts turning red/ brown, and it keeps turning red/ brown.

Sean, are you allowed to water them? Or is adequate rainfall not an issue at all where you are located? I read that the Redwoods are extremely fast growing and very thirsty trees. Just wondering if you think a drip irrigation system would help them, or whether the problem is all insect related. Thanks in advance for any answer.

Tim

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seems like pulling teeth.. We have a few groups really pushing on them right now. We think it will ease up some more soon. Maybe by after the first of the year.

If anyone doesn't know, Wells Fargo Bank is looking for small businesses to take out equipment loans. Think they are trying to fill in for huge lost mortgage buss..

Recent tree mortality meeting. We furnished the photos off that large job we did for some of it and some of the input for planning and cost. They had an LTO present it.
It's a bit long for some.. sorry...
This particular meeting addressed smaller properties where a true logging operatiokn is practical. More the path we have taken in all this. Tighter residential situations. Offering solutions of disposal.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/axN_rVyBFUk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I watched the whole vid, it was good but would have liked him to talk more about a tree service as well, not just LTO's getting the work done

Yeah, I too would have preferred them to mention more about legit tree services not just LTO.
The CDF chief talked more about tree services on another meeting. I wish I could have made the meeting and interjected some more.
I was called in on some of the preliminary leg work with the committee. More to come I AM SURE.

Here is the newest draft of the hazard tree removal guidelines currently being considered for California. I hope this works

Attachments

• Draft_Tree_Removal_Guidelines_3-1-16.pdf
    503.5 KB · Views: 7
Thanks Stephen!

50 percent or more of greenery they want you to leave...kinda crazy...bark beetle tree will just be brown in a couple months if not sooner once you see dead top.

There so worried about a non LTO making money off a tree...theres no money in trees right now and for a long time...it might just be me though lol

Why I am not "logging"
You want to protect your house? I can help you. Fire break? No problem. Wood is worthless with out permit. And damn near even with..
The stuff they are logging out down my street from the house is hundreds of trees. They are going to be particle board in China from my understanding. Chinese corporation has moved in hiring loggers to get the permitted wood and haul it to a unknown deck to be then forwarded to the bay area out of a certain port. Should see it come back at Walmart or something in book cases, desks, kids beds etc.

Ha, lol, its crazy aint it!

We have to pay the self log loader guy to come and haul off a full truck load of pine....I think he charges $125 an hour now, so you could be looking at $250 for haul away...

we have to add this in bids now...

Back