Throw line skills, tips, tricks, techniques

SouthSoundTree-

TreeHouser
http://youtu.be/XsiiIa6bs9I

Skills!

Stack/ flake your throw line neatly.

Care an open throw line cube/ bucket/ box FLAT. Don't to it when moving place to place.

Visualize going OVER the target branch, don't focus on it. I focus on the "top" of my target window. I am prone to hitting the branch I aim for, rather than shooting to high, when I am off, vertically. Know your habits, and correct them.

IMHO bite the bullet and have a few different types of weights and lines. A good quality line, strong and light helps out.

I was so excited to see this thread because I was focused on the throw LINE tips and tricks part, not the THROW part. Ok..... I know I could well use getting better at throwing.

Just read in another thread Seans idea to install with the appropriate weight, let it run to the ground and switch to a heavier weight for manipulation in the tree when bark conditions are tough etc.. That is a great idea that just never occurred to me.

I will keep that in mind (when Bigshoting) thanks Sean.

Not gonna lie this week was my worst week with my throw line. So many damn ash trees snagging my line and tearing it. On Wednesday I got two throw balls stuck before I just manned up and spiked up with my safety line and set my tie in point.

Just so everyone knows, this would be a great thread to put all of the super slick limb isolation tricks etc. that I have been wanting to learn. Thomas don't be holding out on us with regard to those type of skills that can be applied to the RopeKnight.

Arrive at the job site just after sunrise so you can get a line in without the sun directly in your eyes. Sometimes I'll even put a line in the day before so I can work off the invariably frustrating exercise with beer and sleep before the real work begins the next day.

The tips about the sun and no audience are great. It does seem to put the pressure on when a customer is standing nearby watching. Sean read my mail, it's amazing how many times in a row you can hit the limb you're trying to throw over. Usually, boink, dead center. Mark Chisolm shows off a couple of techniques here
https://youtu.be/3iRM1xODVks

I have three bags and two lines...8, 10, 12 oz, sometimes different weights for different trees, more likely to replace the bag that gets stuck in the tree...

Big Shot is the best thing since sliced bread, it has saved me countless minutes (dare I say hrs over three years). It helps the very mediocre thrower transform into a pretty good shooter!

I use a three gallon bucket for my throwline, tried the cubes, don't like them.

A bucket works great but I've been using a homemade spool/reel that works amazingly well. No more flaking, you can have the line back on the reel off clean ground in about 5 seconds. Kinda similar to the shot line winder at TreeStuff.

Picture?

I have about 6 of those shot line winders because I keep two in play at a time, am freaked out about loss or theft, and will never be without them to do moneymaking tree work.

I was trying to learn to use the APTA for high shots and had the line wound a little tight on the spool - launched the spool and tore it apart a bit. I bought two more just in case, now have 8.

I have two of the TreeStuff winders. Gave up on the cube after a couple of really bad tangle episodes.
If the line is reeled back in either too tight or too loose it can create a headache....using the Bigshot it will sometimes unexpectedly launch both the bag AND the winder, sometimes resulting in a terrific cluster of tangled mess.
When winding the line back, I go around a tree trunk or other suitable object to put just a little tiny bit of (consistent) tension on the line.

I found that if I count eight swings and then throw it makes me slow down and concentrate. It feels like forever but helps me really narrow in on my target. Plus I do it the same way every time so I have the same process. It's like when your shooting a free throw at the line and you take five bounces spin the ball and then shoot. It really helps to focus on minimizing the amount of motion and standardizing every bit of the process. If I miss then I still take my eight swings. It forces me to take that extra bit to really narrow in on my target, get my body lined up, my back straight and black out everything but my target.

Good post. Emphasis on focus and consistent technique.

What the masters in any field must do...pianists, golfers, SEALS, tree-men.

Pelorus, for the shot line winder I go around my leg once to get workable tension before holding spool out in front of me and winding line in. The developer of that spool used to have a youtube vid up of him doing that and winding in the whole 200 ft of line in 20 seconds.

I have also put a second 8 inch loop on the other end of my line so I can work ropes into the tree more efficiently and to use both ends of the line equally.

Additionaly I walk and lay the line down on fresh ground as I pull it out of the tree. Then when I go to wind it up there is zero chance of birdsnest and very little chance of tangles.

Thanks Merle.
Birdnest snafus with the winder are mostly a thing of the past, and mostly seem to occur after a helper has done the winding...

I do a lot of work with Green Ash trees. The tight crotches are a pain the caboose. I've lost throw bags and destroyed throw lines while trying to isolate the line over a particular limb.

A trick that works well for me is to isolate the limb by shooting both ends of the throw line. The first shot goes over the limb I want. I then leave it there and work with the other end to isolate that branch, or union. This works well for me, saving countless hours of cussing, and probably more than a carton of cigarettes.

Two throw weights. One on each end of the line.

Joel

Need to lift a throwbag out of tight crotch, retrieve a piece of equipment that is still up in the tree or just catch the end of a hanger to pull it out? Try this. Tie a slip knot leaving a large loop in your line that is through a higher crotch. Pull the loop over the end of the article to retrieve, tighten the loop and pull it up or down as desired. Saved me going back up a tree for a friction saver on many occasions.

IMG_0344.jpg

Back