cutting notches on the way up

murphy4trees

TreeHouser
what do you think of cutting your notches on the way up for negative rigging... check 13:30.... (beer table huh?... )
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sYd5v03OnRY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Most I'd be comfortable doing is cutting very small notches on a spar that has been peeling bark while I'm cinching my climb line. I don't have the stones to do any deeper.

He cut a notch right at the point where on the opposite side there appeared to be what was a large limb union, and directly below it a smaller limb union ninety degrees to it. You could see in the bark that was left that the grain had serious run out on the holding side. To me that particular choice of location strikes as clearly inviting unnecessary risk.

I love it. Experienced production work by a guy more interested in what will work than in rules based on "always" and "never."
(I didn't watch the whole video, just the part Daniel referred to.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much nicer to put your notches in with a big saw when you not moving around the stem on a pole belt or flip line.

That tree was an Ironbark - Eucalyptus sideroxylon or similar–one of the heaviest and hardest Eucalypts (timber does not float.) Commands the best price as firewood (e.g > $350AU/1000kg). A brick sized piece weighs...as much as a brick!

Im happy cutting notches as I go.... but in that circumstance, there was a lot of cutting needed, so maybe it would be a benefit.. Setting the block and rigging on big wood sure is a ballache. Good video!

(Those groundies would have got a kick up the arse for carrying such small loads!)

Not sure how much of a bigger advantage it is over leaving a choked climb line after each piece to cut your notch. Goos video all the same.

I can see that the greatest advantage would seem to be low on the spar with a high tie-in point... Heaviest saw and biggest cuts to line up and make.

Diminishing turns as you go higher, but if it's a strong green stem with shallow faces, why not. Notched spar seems strong enough for what sizes they were handling , considering the loading direction.

It would make the big lower cuts easier on the way down...looks like a good idea on a strong tree.

I liked the table at the end...good touch.

Production oriented tree takedowns, love it... no big deal on a green healthy stem like that IMO. It's more effieicnet than using a friction saver and resetting every single time.

Good find Murphy.

... It's more effieicnet than using a friction saver and resetting every single time...

True, but not more efficient than a choked off SRWP system with a pull down tail. It is not something that I would do.

Well I saw the key bit, the only problem I could see would be that you couldn't change the size of the piece if, whilst moving down, you decided they were getting too big, or small.
Not knocking the outfit though, ballsy stuff.

Was a good video... I ditto what Dave brought up.. Cinch SRT and retrieval. Then you can swing round and cut the face with out setting a AFS each time. I guess cutting them on the way up would give you something to do. But with a heavy saw, I prefer to work more with gravity.

Whatever makes you happy but it would obviously have to be on big wood. If there was a big advantage, I'd be all in but it looks like extra work to me, making a face cut, leaving it and then coming back later to make your back cut. Doing all I can while I'm in one position makes the most sense to me.

Back