First rcx tomorrow

802climber

TreeHouser
Will be removing what we can of this black plastic pot..... Who plants a tree in a plastic pot???

826f199badcdbd510bf26847c165051d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We see it quote often here. Some people thing if you cut the bottom and plant the tree in the bucket it will direct the root growth downward. I guess it sortof works to a point, but...c'mon people.

Good luck with it. I'm hoping it doesn't have a bottom and you can remove some soil and slide out big chunks of it.

How'd you bid it? It's hard to give an exact number when you don't know how long the process will take. I just bid a little high on things like this, knowing every once in a while I'm gonna get stung, but usually it'll all work out and and the end of the year I've made money on projects like this. I learned that trick from insurance companies!

love
nick

Good luck with it, but I'm wondering why they'd bother to try and save that tree? It looks quite close to a foundation/building?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Haha yeah but then I wouldn't be coming back to prune it off the house for the rest of my career

It is an examination of the root crown, including the portion below ground.

Usually done with a back hoe. ( Around here, anyway)

So we got lucky and the pot came out real easy, it had the bottom cut out like Nick suggested. We went out there with a whole arsenal of tools but just yanked it out in a few pieces with some large pliers. Dug down 12" x 6" around the root crown for compaction relief before putting the dirt back. Surprisingly found minimal decay and no girdling roots. Forgot to take a pic of course, but here's one of the whole tree..
4fba433724321af0a0fe61066bffd35c.jpg

Are you kidding?

love
nick

Yes.
But you'd be amazed how many trees I get asked to look at " Because all of a sudden it is like half dead" only to find that some idiot got too near with a back hoe.

Should I have buried it deeper? It was tempting. Will it ever "recover" from girdling damage?
7c78c932e0b2a911032262c8cb052b56.jpg

Is that girdling, or a graft union?

RCX is an examination of the root crown, per ANSI A300 Part 8. The root crown does not get excavated, and soil may not need excavating either.

"Root Crown Excavation" is a Bartlett marketing term.

I missed that, Guy, thanks. It makes sense but I can't remember the last time that an RCX didn't require a look underground.

I missed that, Guy, thanks. It makes sense but I can't remember the last time that an RCX didn't require a look underground.

Lots of flares (where buttress roots form from the trunk) of trees around here are visible, some down to the root collar (where lateral roots separate from the buttress roots). some need digging, some raking, some nothing.
83.2.4 Equipment, tools, and work practices that damage living tissue, bark or soil beyond the scope of work shall be avoided.

83.2.5 When conditions beyond the original scope of work are identified, further work shall be recommended

83.3 Trunk, flare and root inspection

83.3.1 Objectives of inspections shall be established.

83.3.2 The method, area, and depth of inspection shall be specified.

83.3.3 Tools and equipment of inspection shall be specified.

83.3.4 Inspection should include, but is not limited to, one or more of the following:

Functional tissue connecting the crown and the roots;
Girdling of the buttress roots or stems by roots or foreign objects, and the tree’s response;
Tree association with beneficial and harmful insects;
Tree association with pathogenic and beneficial microorganisms (e.g. mycorrhizae);
Wounds, and the tree’s response to wounds;
Damage to detectable roots, and response;
Indications of root disease, and response, and
Graft unions in grafted trees;

83.3.5 Soil and foreign material and organisms should be removed to allow inspection.

83.3.6 Wound treatments that are damaging to tree tissues should not be used.

83.3.7 Bark tracing of wounds shall remove only dead, loose, foreign and damaged tissue.

83.3.8 Monitoring for callus and woundwood growth and for decay shall be considered

83.3.9 Wound sealants shall not be used to cover wounds, except to manage dessication or pests, or for aesthetic purposes.

83.4 Root collar examination

83.4.1 Root collar examination objectives shall be established.

83.4.2 The method, area, and depth of excavation shall be specified.

83.4.3 Tools and equipment used in excavation shall be specified.

83.4.4 Small adventitious roots that interfere with excavation or examination should be moved or pruned.

83.4.4.1 Adventitious roots greater than 3/8 inch (1 cm) diameter should be considered for retention.

83.4.5 Temporary protection of root and stem tissue newly exposed to sunlight shall be considered.

83.4.6 Detectable flare and root diseases and disorders should be diagnosed.

83.4.7 If significant structural defects are observed, a risk assessment should be recommended, see ANSI A300 (Part 9) Tree Risk Assessment.

83.4.8 The flare shall remain visible after excavation.

here are the last 9 flare pics off my phone IMG_1694.JPG IMG_1679.JPG IMG_1587.JPG IMG_1578.JPG

Back