Harness recommendation for boney hips?

woodslinger

TreeHouser
I have climbed 2 trees now in the new tribe onyx, and it was not the armchair comfort I was expecting. I hung from it and my current rock climbing harness back to back off a beam in my basement, and it is a whole different ballgame than my rock climbing harness. Moving up to a tree specific harness is the right direction without a doubt, working with the harness in the tree was a world of difference, but my hips hurt while working, and are sore the day after. It seems to me that I have very boney hips and standing in my spurs puts a lot of pressure on them. Hanging from the rope bridge or rigging plates is better, but I still feel the pressure at my hips. I tried wearing the waist belt lower, to the point that I was starting to feel uncomfortable with how low it was in relation to my hips (in case I fell and went inverted) and my center of gravity (therefore more likely to cause the inversion) and it didn't really seem to help, plus it moved back up when I hung from my overhead TIP. I also tried wearing it high, but that just put pressure on my diaphragm and ribs, no good.
Does anyone else have this issue with saddles? I absolutely love the rope bridge, leg "slings", loose fittmen of the leg loops and gear attachments of the onyx, but I think I might have to find a different harness with some of those features. Maybe I need one with a more conventional padded belt? Or maybe boney hips are just a problem and I need to change something else like padding under my chainsaw pants or something? Or maybe I'm just wearing it wrong?
I'm pretty sure any high end tree saddle will be much better for me than what I'm using now (and I have no issue spending that money for such a useful tool that I rely on so heavily), but at that price tag I think I need to consider some more options.
I am open to any suggestions or ideas.

All men may be created equal, but not when it comes to body shape.
So your question is hard to answer, since what is sauce for the goose may not be for the gander.

There are some saddles, like the Petzl Sequoia, that a LOT of people seem satisfied with, they may work for you.
Best thing to do would be visit a dealer or trade show and hang in a bunch of different saddles.
A good dealer will let you try all the stuff you want to out, since they know that when it comes to those, we are a lot like a fashion conscious woman in a shoe store.

OP and core problem remind me of some of my early days climbing. It has been a long time since I have felt that but I think it was associated with too much pull/force being concentrated sideways in toward the hip bones. For instance if I put a flipline from one side (hip) D ring over a limb and to the other hip D, then leaned all my body weight back against that, I would feel hip pain rather soon.

Most force coming from groin area or slightly lower most of the time when I am hanging in tree makes for my comfort, I believe. Also I wear suspenders. (No need to put excess side pressure on hips to hold harness on.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
when it comes to those, we are a lot like a fashion conscious woman in a shoe store.
:lol: too true
I was hoping to go through treestuff for this, but I think you're right about going to a dealer and trying several.

Merle, do you think maybe a little looser waist belt might help? I am thinking about adding suspenders anyway, as even my little 355T tries to pull the harness down over my skinny butt (or lack thereof).

I hated the onyx.....glad i hax the opportunity to try it out from the TreeHouse.

I love the new tribe pro gear. ..great back pad and leg padding. I'm a bony guy.

I climbed years, many years in fact, in a custom built NT that is pretty close to today's Progear, before that model became a standard offering. I never felt slighted by the lack of a sliding bridge...but one does need to adapt to the saddle shifting from side to side as the tension from your overhead line comes into play.

If you are not happy with your current NT, if I were you I'd call the good folks at NT and discuss the issues. They are really top of the scale for being good to work with their customers to meet your needs.

I do think a looser waistbelt in something to try Woodslinger. Just needs to hold you in saddle along with suspenders, it does not need to cinch one hip against the other.

I think I read you had only 2 climbs in the saddle? IMHO sometimes it takes a number of climbs to have the body adjust and get accustomed to a saddle, even to dial in the saddle. I use the new style cougar, have no issues, feels great, 180lbs 5ft8, so I'm a bit padded. Just throwing it out there, may be a trip to a sewing/upholstery shop, get some suitable memory foam for those hips?

I have a Buckingham Rebellion, and after spending a little time hanging just off the ground dialing it in to my 6'1"-230 lb.- NO HIPS or ASS-having carcass, i actually find it quite comfy for a middle of the road saddle.....as long as i don't hang for over hour or so at a time, and can get on a foothold to pull my leg loop things down every once in awhile, I'm good all day aloft.

Its really a good, sturdy saddle for me, because of my lower body config. :lol:

Good luck

I've finally bought a saddle. I was hoping to attend Jambo or some similar event and see more saddles in person, but that scheduling didn't work out. Pat (pigwot) even sent me his treeflex to try out, but I didn't like the leg loops on it. I think a frankenstein saddle with treeflex waist and NT legs would be pretty awesome.
My local saw shop brought in a weaver saddle with a rope bridge, which is not something he normally sells. I was very impressed with it even though I did not expect much from it
Harness1.jpg

Harness2.jpg

So I saved a little money, supported a local business who I like to deal with, and this thing seems pretty damn comfortable so far. Also picked up this blower while I was there. .
Blower.jpg

I am, havent climbed with it yet, just hung in it at the shop. The other harnesses I've tried hinted to their issues right off the bat, and confirmed them later when climbing. So yes, I am happy with it.

I am pretty thin guy myself, and when i first started climbing I had the same issues with any saddle i tried. It went away after a while and I never had issues with it again. I no longer climb full time, but this past weekend i helped a friend with some removals at his house and climbed for the first time in over one year and I had severe hip pain at the end of the day. I think like another said above, sometimes your body just has to toughen up in a couple of spots, after that pain will be minimal.

Most people will stay clear of the Petzel sequoia because the price, I do not understand ,If you talk all this junk about training , the only choice is the best. However 10,000 excuses are make, training my rear end, you do not purchase the best, do not talk about safety ,Hippocrates that is the essence of the culture .

Nice looking saddle woodslinger!!
I loved my weaver until I got my treemotoin!!
But my weaver didn't look as nice as yours.
Were in pa our you?no storm work?
I'm 5 minutes from the commendor Barry bridge

Man its nice earning new gear:thumbup:

All arborist saddles sold by any manufacterer in this country meet the safety requirements. It's comfort, options, and durability that cost more. A one hundred-fifty dollar saddle is as safe as a five hundred dollar saddle Jose.
I went middle of the road because I don't climb everyday. If I did I'd spend more money on one. Also saddles are very personal. What I find comfortable someone else with my size and build might not be able to handle it. Since I don't have a distributor local I tried other's saddles. I even talked with some of my competitors and tried some of theirs.

Most people will stay clear of the Petzel sequoia because the price, I do not understand ,If you talk all this junk about training , the only choice is the best. However 10,000 excuses are make, training my rear end, you do not purchase the best, do not talk about safety ,Hippocrates that is the essence of the culture .

Talking about training is junk?

We have no intention of training your rear end.

Jose, every harness sold in the States has an ANSI rating and also probably a CE rating if they come from Europe...they are all safe.
Personal preference, weight, fit, comfort, type of work, climbing style...they all play a part in harness selection.

Back