Contract climbing, the Good, the Bad, the Ugly.

SouthSoundTree-

TreeHouser
I'm interested to hear people experience.

Lately, I've been rolling solo, chipper, Boxer, etc. Peaceful. Relaxing. No explaining the plan. Sometimes I don't miss employees.

I have done much, but have had positive experiences with it. Love not having to work the numbers or worry about a lot of the logistics. I can see where it can become a nightmare though if you hook up with a lousy outfit

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Ain't nothing like working with a great crew, but that comes far and few between.

You will when you get old.
Nice to have some young strong bucks around to do the heavy hauling.

One of my usual draggers was ill so I got a 30 year old from the pub to give us a hand.
It was great to have a young buck tearing into the physical lifting and shifting without a groan.

The period of my career when I did nothing but contract climb was probably the most stress free and profitable.

To make it worthwhile you need to have no kit other than saws, climbing and rigging gear and just do contract climbing 5 days a week. Also you need good clients, 2 or 3 steady ones and odd days here and there with other firms.

Oh yeah back to the original thread.
It's nice not having to talk to clients, worry about machines, disposal of rubbish etc. and to be the Rock Star climber who drives home with nothing but a cheque.
Financially though (for me at least) it's only taking the whole job on with all the associated hassle that the money really started to become serious.

Costs increase sharply though, a contract climber with a little van and some saws should be able to keep expenses really low.

I seem to put less in my pocket and have a lot more machines now.

Its nice to do as far as no jobsite or customer relations.

I currently limit who i do it for. I realized i was too often getting unqualified people get out of jams, and making them look like shining stars. Actually just turned down a new cust yesterday as they are a lawn guy turned tree guy as quickly as a pass of an envelope.

So now i mostly decline, and let them scramble and figure it out on thier own. When i do it for the select few it is fun.

Costs increase sharply though, a contract climber with a little van and some saws should be able to keep expenses really low.

I seem to put less in my pocket and have a lot more machines now.
No argument there, you know your own figures, but where's the future in it? You get a little older and then the firms you climb for find another guy much cheaper.

Great opportunity for a cross forum topic derail here!

Fwiw I know a few guys who have gone back to contract climbing full time after running their own firms, and have done well at 40-50 plus.

It wouldn't really be possible for me to go back to contract climbing now, I have family commitments which mean I can't always be out of the house early, and I sometimes need to finish early too. Having my own firm means I can schedule work to suit my own needs. I seem to end up doing other stuff in evenings and weekends which I never had to do as a contract climber, office work and machine maintenance.

All I'm really saying is to maximise profit, do one or the other, don't try to mix contract climbing with running your own show. Other wise your machines are standing idle, but costing you money, and your helping your competitors by doing their climbing.

Its a living. But you cant really build on it. With a good rep and in the right location you can get involved with some cool jobs. It does afford some breathing space to pursue other avenues outside of the normal 9-5. Downside is constantly having to salvage peoples underbid jobs....seems as they dont price it to do the work themselves. Listening to belly aching. Theres a lot of BS involved. I got hurt in a car wreck back in my mid 20s....and obviously as I was no longer making money for people, I didnt hear from hardly any of them until I was well again. That was a lesson right there.

True.

I found the first two or three jobs with a new client would be easy, then they would gradually ramp up the workload until it was verging on impossible. I think if I did it again I would want an hourly rate, four hour minimum.

I found the first two or three jobs with a new client would be easy, then they would gradually ramp up the workload until it was verging on impossible.

That is so true-seeming that it is actually funny:lol:

Yes I would think an hourly basis would keep the clients more honest. I thought contract climbers always worked by the hour. I guess you are saying they do, but a minimum charge is important.

I used to do some contract work when I first started out. Paid alright but always seemed a pita lining everything up. Also right from the get go of having my own gig I ran full signage and I'd let whoever I was contracting to know they need to deal with explaining to their customer why someone else is showing up to do the work. Everyone needs a sufficient minimum whether contracting or running your own show. Sometimes people balk at my min charge and I just tell them, "if it isn't worth that much to you to have it done it's not worth any less to me to come and do it".

Hourly is even worse, they'll be pushing you up the tree before you've had a cup of tea.
Job and knock as they say has got to be better, ie "here's the job I've got a days money on it, if we finish it at 2 we all go home, if it's 7pm so be it.
I worked for two brothers who had separate business's one was job and knock (off) the other would try and get you back to his yard to split wood if it was an early finish.
Tbf they both did/do well, I know who I liked working for more though!

I've done a touch of climbing as a sub. It's my experience that your usually getting thrown at rough scenarios. Something the tree pro that bid the job doesn't want to get into.

I'm still waiting for one of the old contract climbers that are still doing it, to tell his/her perspective.
To me it is a short time gig, with no buildt in "getting old and stiff " safety.
Good way to start out, but it'll bite you in the end.

Unless you are really fantastic at writing books and doing videos, of course:)

I'm climbing & cutting freelance at the moment. It can be mentally & physically taxing, enjoyable, frustrating, difficult & uncertain.

In my immediate circumstances it suits me, but I am not sure where I go with it long-term as I'm not sure I can work at my current frenetic pace indefinitely

There is a company here that I will climb for. They have a bucket truck but no climbers. I always like it when he calls, even though it interferes with our busy schedule. I charge him our going rate and even then he will often throw in a tip. But the best part besides not messing with the cleanup, is he's funny as hell and makes me laugh.

On the odd occasion where I do get called in as a contract climber I always say that I'm bringing my own ground worker to run the ropes (and price it accordingly.) We both have the Sena comms in our helmets so jobs run really smooth.

Also, it's always priced at a day rate. If we do manage to finish in very very quick time I might knock the price down to 2/3 of the day rate.

I'm never worried about the 'helping your competitors by doing their climbing' as the help goes both ways. Like when you need an extra chip truck.

But like Peter said when you're running your own business you have the flexibility to work around family commitments.

I'm still waiting for one of the old contract climbers that are still doing it, to tell his/her perspective.
To me it is a short time gig, with no buildt in "getting old and stiff " safety.
Good way to start out, but it'll bite you in the end.

Unless you are really fantastic at writing books and doing videos, of course:)
Well I wouldnt say I'm old Stig, but I've done nothing else for over 20 years. 4 countries, over a hundred companies.I don't feel like I've lost anything. But have always had the same appetite and attitude. I feel like I could go on for many years, but don't want to hit mid 50s and think, what now ? So I'm getting out, because I want to, not because I have to. With that in mind I've never been a pussy. ...crying about every little injury, making excuses. One of things I liked about Willard. I know he upset a few people more recently, but in general I found his overall awesomeness both humorous and refreshing.

Back