Mayweather vs. Pacquiao predictions

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
Tough call, but Pacman in eight by a knockout. A hope more than a prediction. I think Manny is ready, but can he find Mayweather?

An estimate of a 300-400 million purse for the fight.

Thatd be a great result. But the safe bet would be with Mayweather.....hes an awesome tactician. Having said that his legs were a little wooded last time out, and was getting caught more frequently. Pacquiao still has super fast hands and feet....but still still walks into stuff too. I hope he finds a way, but its a huge task.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Manny does look relaxed, though, smiling all the time. A very likeable fighter. Tough hombre too, no doubt. He used to demolish very good fighters, and what he did to a few, like de la hoya, was a crime. Didn't he send Ricky Hatton into retirement in a quick way, or at least got him thinking about it.

Pacquiao's wife is funny too, sometimes she has some nasty things to shout out at ringside, in support of her husband. Have seen his mother hug opposing fighters as well, after they are beaten and bloody.

I think he made a comeback a couple years after and lost. Hatton had been well managed and maneuvered throughout most of his career....but then got thoroughly beaten by mayweather, and then blitzed by pacquiao a couple years later. Ironically, Hatton was trained by Mayweathers Dad when he fought Pacquiao.

Floyd ain't goin down unless it's on purpose, I'd eat my shorts if Manny knocked 'im out

I have a theory on the fight, and I haven't heard anyone else say it. Manny can work the angles when he fights, can throw punches when he is moving and from off to the side like few others can. He's got power and also finesse. Floyd is a master at avoiding getting hit by using his shoulders to block and rolling off to the side to get out of range. I don't think that he can do that with Manny with the success that it has had against other fighters. Especially if Manny slows him down, Floyd will be very vulnerable to the speed and power against him. Not an easy task, but I think Manny could get to Floyd enough through the rounds to get the win.

It could be a great fight, both guys in super condition, one man's strengths on offence against another's on defense. I don't think it will be a repeat of what happened against Marquez, when Manny walked into the punch. He learned from that. He's not afraid to mix it up though, so anything can happen. I know the smart money is pretty much on Floyd, but I think Manny still has greatness.. He trains very hard, has an excellent corner, and nobody can say that he isn't a smart and very aggressive fighter. Floyd is smart too, and highly gifted. The question is who brings more to the table. I hope it goes into later rounds and both fighters can really show what they still have at their ages.

Take a shot at it, if you don't know their names, the guy on the left or the one on the right? :lol: The left guy is a 3 to 1 favourite, undefeated as a pro and says his opponent is reckless. For the welterweight championship of the world. Certainly revenue wise, the biggest fight in history.

Attachments

• APTOPIX Mayweather Pacquiao Boxing.JPEG
    APTOPIX Mayweather Pacquiao Boxing.JPEG
    58.7 KB · Views: 62
No theories on who will win, but since neither of them has knocked anyone out in years I think a KO is unlikely.

Starting to get excited now. Pity about the time difference over here but the alarm will be set for 3.30am. I think Mayweather is a racist ignorant douchebag. Lost in his own world and hype. But no doubt about it he is an incredible talent that the likes off may not be seen again for a very long time.

I would love Manny to win but I think Mayweather will win on points. Although I would love to see Mayweather flat out on the canvas like Manny did to Hatton and de la Hoya.

"It showtime" (in the voice of Michael Buffer)

Floyd ain't goin down unless it's on purpose, I'd eat my shorts if Manny knocked 'im out

I'm no sports nut, so I really don't have an opinion on who's going to win this fight. But just from a tactical perspective, if I were you, on the day of the fight, I'd wear my clean shorts. Just sayin'.

Tim

A knockout could be the only way for the Filipino to win, and it is said that Floyd has put on muscle for this fight. My sentimental favourite is Manny, I like how he came back in his career after having his lights put out by a lucky punch. I wouldn't bet the mortgage on him though, Floyd being undefeated for good reason. A good chance that Floyd will get the win on points, as Rich said. Still, I'm going with the underdog, Pacquiao in the eighth round.

:lol: @ Wiliie

I quit watching boxing when Ernie Shavers retired.

I'd listen if it was on radio but won't pay to see it.

So this thread isn't about the weather this month?
Wtf?

Post fight: Kind of a lack lustre fight. Manny came in the heaviest of his career, it might well have worked against his speed and foot work. Possibly it negated my theory that he could get the angles on Floyd. Floyd won, ran and hugged a lot, but he won. Neither fighter was even marked. Both guys have big satchels to take to the bank, or probably better in armoured trucks. Floyd might need two.

Been reading about the fight aftermath, most everybody very underwhelmed with the fight, including Tyson and Delahoya. Imo, it all further indicates boxing is essentially dead, MMA is where its at. And at this point MMA is so much more accessible- fighters last nite making millions win or lose where as top level MMA fighters are regularly scrapping way more intensely for money in the tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. The fights and fighters tend to be much grittier and entertaining as they want it and need it more.

Hard to figure why last nights fight was so well anticipated as both fighters are over the hill, from what I read.

Cory, probably so well anticipated because both guys have had such great careers. Who would win has been a long question, and I guess that you are right, carrying over to near the end of their time.

There is a tough guy waiting in the wings if Floyd wants, but he might be smart to duck him. One more fight and his contract with the pay per view is over, he will want to retire undefeated. One thing though, Mayweather fights tend to be fairly boring, as a rule, It was hoped that Manny would give great offence to overcome Floyd's usual winning strategy in the ring.

Some great boxers have done some really odd things for the big final purse, hasn't done boxing much good in the long run.

zvfolTs.gif

Boring it may have been but Mayweather put on an absolute Boxing Master class last night. Manny didn't have an answer to his tactics.

It seems everyone is suddenly a boxing expert. Not here but my Facebook was full of them. Not a single point in the fight did I think the Pacman was winning. Mayweather sure has the sweet science down.

Agreed Floyd took us to school, he's one of the best ever no doubt. I think the rise of MMA has made boxing "boring" to the masses. Also I agree with Jim, MMA is too violent for me, not to take anything away from the fighters, I just like boxing more:)

I thought Floyd basically took all the money and ran.
Without question he landed more punches, so won the contest....but so much grabbing, holding and spoiling went un punished by the ref. Floyd has ridiculed Pacquiao for years....yet during the fight it was as if wanted Pac to be his buddy. All that touching gloves, and then a hug at the start of the 12th. Never see him do that with any previous oponent. He got wobbled in the 4th and then sort if wrapped his arms around his own face while pacquiao pounded him. Like a scared man. his Dad said so at one point 'You're fighting scared'....his frustration very apparent. Even in the last round, two hundred million in the back pocket, all the prefight boasts of making it an exciting fight for the millions of paying fans, he could've stood and punched it out, but instead he ran.

Most of the great fighters of yester year always fought with a warriors heart....and proved it time over. Stealing a fight was never enough, they would always try and close the show. Not this man.

Back