Target practice

mistahbenn

Treehouser
Another day, may as well get some tyre practice in. :P

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zwKuHfWrIgw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A street crusher for sure. Nice job. Town tree?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It was a private client cory. She was very para about it, was a large spread. Shame, it survived the last two storms, and had fantastic form. Was a great takedown, no cables, went big on the rigging, fun time!

BTw, it wasn't totally obvious to me...did you have truck tires on the road with logs crossways on top, to take the brunt of the hit?

Just one tyre to take the initial hit on top of some stacked logs, and another tyre just at the curb. Watch the slo-mo :)

It obviously worked well, but I woulda thought the tire on the road-way instead of log on the road would be better. What made you do it the way you did it? If you put the tire on the road, theoretically, no logs or tree trunk would hit the pavement?

The more logs, the more surface area to take the impact, spreading the weight. The roads are made thick, but I have felled some sticks without protection before (Working in a hurry) and have made holes. There was no pavement (sidewalk) under the tree, just some old curb stone, which stayed intact of course!

I hear ya on more surface area, but was thinking that given the roughly cylindrical shape of the logs, and their non-uniform sizes, they might not provide that much surface area. Like if you have, say 10 spread in the line of fire, maybe only 4 or 5 would take the hit cuz they would be the high spots and the others might be hiding just a tad lower and therefore not sharing the load? Just wondering. Thanks.

I felled a big ash butt onto logs, it broke out a piece the size of a high lift wedge from a section being used as a cushion. Hit the client who was to the side taking photos. Knocked him over, I thought I'd killed him! I saw him the other day whilst working next door, he was ok.

Good shoot, Benn. Mick, not so much. F$#%ing bystanders.

Sometimes a tough call.

I stacked multiple layers, once. Came down and broke the top piece in the middle, flinging one end of the limb end over end like a baton, up and over the peak of the shed, dinging a tile on the far side of the roof, breaking it.

No harm, no foul, job well done, in this case. Seems to me that a more sensitive drop could be pampered with a thick hinge, and a retired, sacrificial rope as a hold-back (rigging) line. I thought the same about the hold-back line on Charley Potteroff's walnut log video. A thin hinge to prevent splitting.

Once over the COG, the bending hinge would take some of the logs' Potential Energy. The hold-back rigging line would get increasing load as the log is lowered over, possibly snapping it, or glazing it at least. That sucker should pick up speed... Rope man may need to drop it.

I took down a smaller Birch yesterday. It was a pretty straight forward cut and drop job, with the exception of the customer's large flower pot, which was too fragile and far too heavy to move. So, I built a bridge over it, using some very large logs that I had in the truck from another tree job.

I dropped the Birch onto the bridge I built. Worked perfectly. The flower pot was safe and sound. However, I ended up loading those same logs twice in one day. Oh well, that's how it goes. Seems we often work harder than we have to. It may have been cheaper for me to just buy the lady a new planter pot, but she was impressed with the fact that I didn't destroy any of her goodies. That's worth something too, I guess.

Joel

I've put several half-depth kerfs into a spar on my way down to make breaking points for the fell onto asphalt. We were just bucking into firewood rounds in place, so it was easy, and even partially split firewood.

I've put several half-depth kerfs into a spar on my way down to make breaking points for the fell onto asphalt. We were just bucking into firewood rounds in place, so it was easy, and even partially split firewood.

I took down a smaller Birch yesterday. It was a pretty straight forward cut and drop job, with the exception of the customer's large flower pot, which was too fragile and far too heavy to move. So, I built a bridge over it, using some very large logs that I had in the truck from another tree job.

I dropped the Birch onto the bridge I built. Worked perfectly. The flower pot was safe and sound. However, I ended up loading those same logs twice in one day. Oh well, that's how it goes. Seems we often work harder than we have to. It may have been cheaper for me to just buy the lady a new planter pot, but she was impressed with the fact that I didn't destroy any of her goodies. That's worth something too, I guess.

Joel
Did you get a pic?

I felled a big oak stem onto a stump of another oak, it smashed a softball size chunk off which flew across the street, over the bungalow and landed in the back garden without damaging anything.

it seems clear from my video "research" that if you can line the padding logs up so they, and most importantly the spar slides, turns , or rolls after impact, there is A LOT LESS force on the earth/pavement... hit and slide to the side is a nice dance! gotta watch out for that hit and take off like a bullet from a gun though!

How do you set it up to purposely slide turn or roll?

In my "research"... I never really set it up .... however the times it has happened by "Accident"... generally that looks like hitting the end of a padding log. The carom throws the striking log to the side.. big log at 2:03 did virtually no lawn damage.. that was really surprising.. it didn't move to the side much either.. really need to watch it in slow motion to see the movement ... you can set it at .25x speed in youtube settingsa

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-vhn4_BgikM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

also seen a pile of smaller wood deflect a striking log, as in ben's vid...
seen here at 5:45
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sVnIs8KtSek" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm not so sure about a horizontal component lessening the impact of the log, unless there is a mechanism by which the kinetic energy of the weight can get transferred into kinetic energy in a horizontal or rotational direction.

Movement of a projectile is independent in the x,y, and z planes, iirc. As an example, if a ball bearing were to fall of a table with a 1 mile per hour horizontal vector and another with a horizontal vector of 100 miles an hour, at the exact same time, they will hit level ground at the same time.

It definitely takes energy to rotate a mass like that, which has to come from somewhere, which would come from the kinetic energy of the log/ acceleration due to gravity.

Back