Monkey Slide - building a water slide

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gawd, Jay...that's a scary word when I think about what this thing is going to be. :lol:

Jay, don't miss post #24 where I posted the second video...you were posting while I was posting. You can see some of my big Moso bamboo waiting to be set up for the next tripod.

I missed that. It is an ultra cool project, mucho compliments. Looking down that dark tube is like when they put a camera in your stomach, freaky. The boys only look a little excited. :lol:

Those boys were probably as wide open as I have ever seen them. They are chomping at the bit to be "test dummies" again.

Alex said we have to officially test each section as we get it installed. I figure maybe the youngest will only be mildly terrified that way since he will be gradually getting acclimated to the ever increasing, height, speed and "is this really a good idea?" factor.:D

MB....you ever get out our way we will give you the Key to the Slide...make you chief Monkey for the day...with unlimited slides.:lol:

I googled water slide permits, and nothing came up except for some major event that a city seemed dubious about. You're clear to proceed. :thumbup:

Haha. Thx for keeping me straight.

Carl. Make that closer to 300 lbs. We have 14 foot tubes.

We have been plugging away on the water slide...today we raised the next 14 foot tube. I set some pullies yesterday to lift the tube...use bamboo to brace one limb and used a redirect in another tree to get the pulley over the lift point. We had planned to make a large tripod to hoist the next pieces...I cut 45 foot pieces of bamboo for that purpose. Then we got to studying the trees and decided to use the boo to reinforce our rigging point. Also "cabled" the maple redirect to support the lead that was taking most of the pressure. It's getting bigger...definitely bigger.:D

Attachments

• water slide build set 2-1.jpg
    water slide build set 2-1.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 38
  • water slide build set 2-2.jpg
    water slide build set 2-2.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 39
  • water slide build set 2-3.jpg
    water slide build set 2-3.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 39
  • water slide build set 2-4.jpg
    water slide build set 2-4.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 39
  • water slide build set 2-6.jpg
    water slide build set 2-6.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 39
  • water slide build set 2-7.jpg
    water slide build set 2-7.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 38
  • water slide build set 2-8.jpg
    water slide build set 2-8.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 37
  • water slide build set 2-9.jpg
    water slide build set 2-9.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 37
  • water slide build set 2-10.jpg
    water slide build set 2-10.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 36
  • water slide build set 2-11.jpg
    water slide build set 2-11.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 36
  • water slide build set 2-12.jpg
    water slide build set 2-12.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 36
  • water slide build set 2-13.jpg
    water slide build set 2-13.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 36
  • water slide build set 2-14.jpg
    water slide build set 2-14.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 40
  • water slide build set 2-15.jpg
    water slide build set 2-15.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 39
  • water slide build set 2-17.jpg
    water slide build set 2-17.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 38
  • water slide build set 2-18.jpg
    water slide build set 2-18.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 36
  • water slide build set 2-19.jpg
    water slide build set 2-19.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 37
  • water slide build set 2-20.jpg
    water slide build set 2-20.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 39
  • water slide build set 2-21.jpg
    water slide build set 2-21.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 39
  • water slide build set 2-22.jpg
    water slide build set 2-22.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 38
  • water slide build set 2-23.jpg
    water slide build set 2-23.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 38
  • water slide build set 2-24.jpg
    water slide build set 2-24.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 38
  • water slide build set 2-25.jpg
    water slide build set 2-25.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 36
  • water slide build set 2-26.jpg
    water slide build set 2-26.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 37
  • water slide build set 2-27.jpg
    water slide build set 2-27.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 39
  • water slide build set 2-28.jpg
    water slide build set 2-28.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 36
That's what I was thinking too Jay. This slide is starting to look intense. What are the odds that someone could skip clear across the pool as they exit?

Next the elbow piece and then the sections along the other 4 lengths along the other side of the fence, right?

That's what I was thinking too Jay. This slide is starting to look intense. What are the odds that someone could skip clear across the pool as they exit?

I was thinking: " Warp speed" slide right into the 5th dimension or a parallel world.
What fun that would be:D

Alex and I discussed "warp speed" yesterday. I had to leave right after we got the piece set. He bolted it in place and he and 4 year old Landon tried it out...fast...yep. Alex went head first and tried to hydroplane...that's what our first concern is...he could not make it happen yet...he's good at understanding how to arch/plane out, as in a racing dive that swimmer's do. He could not make his body plane...what he didn't try yet was having a steep enough entry angle that you auger down into the water and Aquaman/torpedo too far...that will be the next test.

Our plan is to try to wring out planing on the water and under the water as we go to see if gravity and common sense says, "Enough!". And you are right, Sean...the elbow, which may be several pieces, depending on how gradual we make the turn, and two more 14 foot long sections are still part of the original plan.

We are working on a way to have an enclosed climbing area up to the entry point so that the exposure is minimized...don't like the idea of free climbing exposed ladder/stairs.

hahaha....you come down this way in the summer and we'll give it a proper session.

I am not sure what you mean by joking...you are right...the plan has always been to turn that corner and extend along the high side wall.

Alex figured it out but I don't remember the final height...around 25-30 feet, I think.

We got the high corner installed earlier today...the still shots are below...as well as video of today's test.

I was able to get home in time to help Alex orchestrate a test of the newest sections. I set up a "boy cam" on Hayden for the first run of the 40 feet of slide we have so far. You can see it from a 9 year old's viewpoint. :D

You may need to turn up the volume...the waterproof case muffles the sound some.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YuNLF8L4Cig" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

• IMG_highcorner install (1).jpg
    IMG_highcorner install (1).jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_highcorner install (2).jpg
    IMG_highcorner install (2).jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_highcorner install (3).jpg
    IMG_highcorner install (3).jpg
    175 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_highcorner install (4).jpg
    IMG_highcorner install (4).jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_highcorner install (5).jpg
    IMG_highcorner install (5).jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_highcorner install (6).jpg
    IMG_highcorner install (6).jpg
    174 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_highcorner install (7).jpg
    IMG_highcorner install (7).jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_highcorner install (8).jpg
    IMG_highcorner install (8).jpg
    159 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_highcorner install (10).jpg
    IMG_highcorner install (10).jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 31
Cool!

I didn't know you were going bigger. I was joking about 4 more sections, figuring it would be 40' in the air, and approaching Mach 1.

Back