Monkey Slide - building a water slide

pantheraba

More biners!!!
This project had its beginning 5 years ago, May 2010. I did some treework (removed 2 pines near a fence and building) and was paid with industrial quality/playground slide tubes. I was not sure what I would ever do with them but it was too good a deal to pass up.

Brand new, never used, just needed a home. So we have been storing them until now. Every once in awhile my son and I would postulate about what to do with them..a plan finally gelled. His sons (my two grandsons) are 9 years old and 4 years old...just right for a terrifying water slide. Since Alex has a fine pool it is a perfect match. We have just gotten started and made our first test of the slope last week.

I'll be posting pictures as we move along...here is the first batch. I have some video of our first live "wet" test of the first sections we are setting up...I'll post that soon.

Attachments

• slide1.jpg
    slide1.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 76
  • slide2.jpg
    slide2.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 77
  • slide3.jpg
    slide3.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 79
  • slide4 (1).jpg
    slide4 (1).jpg
    131 KB · Views: 78
  • slide4 (2).jpg
    slide4 (2).jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 79
  • slide4 (3).jpg
    slide4 (3).jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 76
  • slide4.jpg
    slide4.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 78
  • slide5 (1).jpg
    slide5 (1).jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 78
  • slide5 (2).jpg
    slide5 (2).jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 79
  • slide5 (3).jpg
    slide5 (3).jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 78
  • slide5 (4).jpg
    slide5 (4).jpg
    207 KB · Views: 75
  • slide5 (5).jpg
    slide5 (5).jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 77
  • slide5 (6).jpg
    slide5 (6).jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 73
  • slide5 (7).jpg
    slide5 (7).jpg
    270 KB · Views: 75
  • slide5 (8).jpg
    slide5 (8).jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 75
  • slide5 (9).jpg
    slide5 (9).jpg
    249 KB · Views: 74
  • slide6 (1).jpg
    slide6 (1).jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 75
  • slide6 (2).jpg
    slide6 (2).jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 78
  • slide6 (3).jpg
    slide6 (3).jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 77
  • slide6 (4).jpg
    slide6 (4).jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 76
  • slide6 (6).jpg
    slide6 (6).jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 76
  • slide4 (4)edited.jpg
    slide4 (4)edited.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Alex did the first test run to be sure it shoots folks out far enough past the edge of the pool...we have an extension/lip that is not installed yet which will project folks still further. First few rides in the video are kind of slow...then they pick up. Before testing it we were concerned the slope might not be enough...not worried about THAT anymore.

I had a GoPro "knockoff" camera on a gorillapod flex legged tripod that I positioned at the apex of the tube..made for some interesting shots.

Note to self...don't leave crowbars laying around for boys to find.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fzP1RRyelT4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Eventually...I have the waterproof setup...already have some ideas on that.

You are pretty savvy...she saw it yesterday for the first time. Up 'til then it was only a idea she heard us talking about...seeing the real thing starting to appear set off her "somebody is going to get hurt" alarms. I assured her we are being careful.

What else is a guy to do????

She had the same concerns when we set this up...no serious injuries but a few have gotten rope burns or straddled the rope. Same pool but we are "replacing" the slide.:/:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jVLehb0iOS4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

+1 on the coolest grandpa ever. Looks like one heck of a fun construction project. I love the bamboo and fiddle blocks rigging setup, as well as the "foot powered" woodworking vise. ;)

The rope over the pool looks really cool too. I would love to set my slackline over a pool, but I don't know anyone with a pool and suitable anchors.

10-4 on anchors...so far we have been able to use trees...this slide may block one anchor and require us to sink a telephone pole at some point. That may be NEXT year.

I have some bigger bamboo for the next section...after that we will probably have to use some powered lifting equipment we borrowed for lifting 40 foot trusses awhile back.

Alex and I figure a 10' tube is probably 200 pounds...I just talked to a playground tube supplier...their 10 foot section of 30 inch diameter is 162 lbs...I am not sure of the thickness of their tubes.

Our tubes are pretty stout...I figure at least 200 pounds to be safe. Mainly they are just "ungainly" to handle...getting them up high and under control will require tag lines and not much wind.

We had to use a big torch to heat a section so we could mate the two pieces in the pictures. Joining tubes "at height" might get interesting.

I will probably set up a high line at some point so we can safety off while working.

I'm sure safety won't be a factor with you and your son figuring things. My concern would be that after one season of wild ruckus activity, the kids will lose interest. Old photographs are cool though. :lol:

Yeah, but I think the interest will last for a few years...what with Landon only being 4. And the local Boy Scout troop that Alex and I still work with sometimes will be all over it. They usually come swim at least once each summer...they'll probably wear it out.

And what they hey...how often do you get a chance to have your own bodacious water slide?:D

And then there was camera 2...same time frame as original video but this camera was hand held and roving the whole time.

I have not tried merging/synchronizing two cameras yet. Still trying to wrap my brain around how that will work...makes me appreciate folks like August and Bixler who use multiple cameras and edit it all together.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/82FJH588g0I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OK, you guys are likely right about not losing interest. Of course it couldn't hurt to do an upgrade every now and then. :\: :O

Back