SRT techniques for beginners

jprice88

TreeHouser
Hello I am new and looked for this but I am using a very basic SRT system mainly one rope some knots and carabiners and harness/saddle.. I was looking into getting better with limb walking .. Please help here I know there are easy techniques that I'm over looking

Arborist learning the ropes

What is your specific setup ? sounds like you may need more equipment. I just recently got into srtwp, got a rope wrench and love it. Real smooth and predictable on limbs. whatever srt system you choose there are a few basic necessities that will make your life easier: #1 would be decent rope and appropriate hitch cord.#2 a good foot ascender.#3 some sort of mechanical advantage setup is nice for backup and steep limb returns or short ascents. I use a petzle basic and a DMM wire gate roller carabiner, or your could just use a prusik loop and a carabiner. being proficient at foot locking is in my opinion a good prerequisite for srt so your not SOL incase you break a foot ascender or something.

Reading the HH , RW thread will take a while but is worth it. Lots of tips and tricks. I too am just starting to dabble with SRT and will be referencing that thread constantly as I progress. Getting my boss to put me in a low and slow situation is gonna be tough, but I will figure it out soon.

I've been running a ton of SRT, lately with no hybrid device (only a VT with the skinny Ultratech prussic short) but I really don't feel too good about it. Descending really sucks, and I don't feel good about the cordage breaking strength by itself, even though, it's about 7,000. Can't get myself to spring for a HH. Part of it is that the company I work for disallows SRT climbing.

But I can't give it up... It's just so efficient.

Like anything else when someone is watching over your shoulder and catches you.....act surprised and look concerned.

I don't know if srt makes limb walking any easier though. Ascent and positioning for sure, but limb walking only gets easier by doing it more

I've been running a ton of SRT, lately with no hybrid device (only a VT with the skinny Ultratech prussic short) but I really don't feel too good about it. Descending really sucks, and I don't feel good about the cordage breaking strength by itself, even though, it's about 7,000. Can't get myself to spring for a HH. Part of it is that the company I work for disallows SRT climbing.

But I can't give it up... It's just so efficient.
Make a wooden rw!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Like I said I am at a cave man basic system as I'm just learning but looking to add I just need to know what to start getting as I'm unfamiliar with other set ups. My family mainly do takedowns so we're gaff and lanyard away.. But I like the SRT style. So I use rope alpine butterfly knots and blakes hitches. One as a main and I have a blakes hitch foot ascender that I made with another rope... Like I said basic as it comes

Make a wooden rw!

Sean, I think you mentioned that once before. Man, I've seriously gotta give that a try: why not? You've still got the ultra-tech anyway, if the wood should break. Man, good idea. If I can get it sorted, I'll try to have my little girl shoot some pics up. :rockon:

I did a huge spreading ash yesterday on SRT (HH setup) I commented when we got home that it was WAY easier doing it SRT than it would have been DdRT. I had some long limbwalks as well, out and down the drooping branches. I used my Petzl basic (from my homemade knee ascender system) and a revolver to put a 3:1 to help get back up from the ends of the drooping branches, worked an absolute treat.

Here's a cheer for you to get started, read the HH /RW thread that's what gave me the confidence to give it a go and it's been SO worth it!

I did a huge spreading ash yesterday on SRT (HH setup) I commented when we got home that it was WAY easier doing it SRT than it would have been DdRT. I had some long limbwalks as well, out and down the drooping branches. I used my Petzl basic (from my homemade knee ascender system) and a revolver to put a 3:1 to help get back up from the ends of the drooping branches, worked an absolute treat.

Here's a cheer for you to get started, read the HH /RW thread that's what gave me the confidence to give it a go and it's been SO worth it!

Whatis 3:1? And HH,RW?

Any chance of getting a picture of your setup? sounds interesting

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430076317.051384.jpg

Like I said totally basic. Rope blakes hitch and my petzyl harness

Also any Ideas for some helpful equipment would be appreciated as well. As you can see I'm pretty entry level when it comes to the climb

Upgrading with a hitch climber ,eye to eye schwabish, and foot assender. Any thoughts here?

Sean, I think you mentioned that once before. Man, I've seriously gotta give that a try: why not? You've still got the ultra-tech anyway, if the wood should break. Man, good idea. If I can get it sorted, I'll try to have my little girl shoot some pics up. :rockon:

DON'T OVER THINK THIS. any piece of wood that will bear the load, and not splinter or be pitchy will work. A shoelace will work as a tether. I used a hardwood hammer handle. Slanted rope hole on one end, a short way in from the end, and a couple tether holes at varying distances from the rope hole. Figure out what length of wooden rope wrench is right, and cut off excess.

Back