Which do you prefer, drum or disk chipper ?

Walker

TreeHouser
Seems like the drum is more prevalent for landscaper's (brush chippers) due to the quality of the chips but I would like to learn from everyone's personal opinions.

Typically 45* disc chippers do better on logs, drums work better on brush. My personal preference is for drums, and that's also what I sell ( Terex/Woodsman dealer). I've owned a Bandit 200 and Morbark 2400. The 200 had 120hp (gas) and the 2400 had ~200hp (diesel). Both were outperformed by the 140hp (diesel) Terex TAC750HD. The infeed power is far better, chips are tiny, and reversing autofeed all helped to get the material through more easily and quickly.

I agree. Power and set-up. The best newest chippers out there will throw out crap chips if not kept sharp and well adjusted. Conversely any chipper I've used will throw out nice chips if set up properly.

I agree. Power and set-up. The best newest chippers out there will throw out crap chips if not kept sharp and well adjusted. Conversely any chipper I've used will throw out nice chips if set up properly.

True. Except drum chippers seem to do better when not kept sharp and well adjusted.

Love also helps too. I give my disc chipper (250xp with 5,500hrs on the clock) a big hug every morning before greasing her nipples.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
True. Except drum chippers seem to do better when not kept sharp and well adjusted.

Love also helps too. I give my disc chipper (250xp with 5,500hrs on the clock) a big hug every morning before greasing her nipples.

Hey ! stay away from the exhaust pipe !!!!! i would hate to be the fool next to the pipe during early morning start up !!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was waiting for a thread like this to pop up, disc vs drum. Is it fair to say that discs cut more across the grain in a downward vertical chop and require more hp?

Cool, let's see were this go then.

Well, i did look into how drum knives are configured and some are straight horizontal on the drum, others are at what looks like 30 degree angle like the disk chippers but the waste is fed at 90 degrees into the rotor were as for the disk chipper, the waste is fed at what looks to be a 45 degree angle downwards ?

How does this affect the performance of the final product and hp required ??

Back