alcohol

One beer with supper if my stomach feels off, glass of wine with supper on weekends, sometimes when working in the shop or pudderin' around after hours I might have a rye and pepsi. Pretty much adds up to 4 drinks a week, no more than one per day. Lots of Italian customers, they exchange wine for free advice.

Like just about any dutiful Japanese wife, mine doesn't mind me having a drink. Sometimes I turn my back and hear a little plink, like she might have dropped a quaalude into my glass. It's love for sure.

Every Day...

I piss, shit, eat, exercise, bathe, scratch my ass, blow my nose... every day.

Why the hell wouldn't I drink, too?

I contracted out a large reputable company to wreak out a major valley oak. at the last part of the trunk, the climber went into a seizure and passed out. Turns out he was withdrawing from heavy alcohol. He is now in hospital for 4 days in an induced coma.
Just wanted to post this to give folks a heads up that what folks do on their own time really effects work. I guess this means that we need to really watch out for each other and make those unpopular calls if we feel the need...
frans

Are you trolling us?

You have my phone number... call me.

Yes, a bizarre post if that is the end of his contribution. I presume he means people should intervene when they see someone drinking//drugging to excess, and/or not hire people who don't have it together off the job cuz it can lead to f ups on the job.

Called a friend's daughter not long ago, because my friend was hitting the bottle so bad that I thought that he might be killing himself. I mean a giant bottle of sake drained in two days. There seems to be some connection between a lot of sake and brain haemorrhages. He lives by me and it was at the point that the neighbours were starting to talk. So I called his daughter who lives a few towns away, and i slightly know, just to make her aware. She said that she already knew, and that was the end of it, didn't seem to want to intervene. I tried. "Unpopular call"....I suppose.

Yeah, thanks, Sean. Hard to picture a family member not wanting to help, I mean I can see possible reasons why in some cases, but my friend and his daughter seem to be on good terms, and she and her brother are running a very successful business that their father turned over to them. The deep down dynamics of that family are beyond the scope of my understanding, though. All I know is that if someone is running amok with drink, they need help. That is pretty easy to see.

Here's tonight's tipple, a 2012 Bordeaux 80% merlot 20% cabernet sauvignon (apparently)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 61
Yeah, thanks, Sean. Hard to picture a family member not wanting to help, I mean I can see possible reasons why in some cases, but my friend and his daughter seem to be on good terms, and she and her brother are running a very successful business that their father turned over to them. The deep down dynamics of that family are beyond the scope of my understanding, though. All I know is that if someone is running amok with drink, they need help. That is pretty easy to see.

Jay, until your friend is ready to put down the bottle, nothing anyone does is going to "help".

This is a tough one, I've been dealing with things of this nature for most of my life. Currently my father is detoxing in my house. It took a lot of courage and some harsh words to get him to "see the light" but he's been two days off the bottle and I believe that he will make it into a better space when the detox is over. It is hard for me because I have, for the most part, always been able to enjoy alcohol responsibly but I gave it up for the time being as well as my wife so as to not encourage pops. I sure do miss my daily beer or two already but hey, it is what it is!:|:

I've got a neighbor, decent enough fellow for the most part, but he goes from hero to zero in one beer or less! Give him a six pack, fine, much more and he's a slobbering drunk!
He moved his girlfriend in and seems to think he needs to tell her how to raise her kids, 21 and 24, and he's always "taking care of business" for her?
He's in his 60's, no hobbies and sits around drinking all day.
The GF's youngest just had a baby, royal mess, THC was found in the baby, SRS is all up in the daughters face, baby is a premie, just had surgery to attach it's colon to its intestines, it goes on and on.
The last few weeks this guy has been nothing but a hot mess! Calls me at 1:30pm and I can understand about every third word, falling over in my front yard because he can't stand much less walk! Even the lady at the beer store is worried about him!
Now I get this is like the Slash talking to Charlie Sheen conversation, but I spoke to him about it, that went so so, until later that night. He came back down, really drunk now! He then proceeds to tell me I'm a hypocrite and there's no way I can say anything about how much he drinks when I drink more than him! I snapped! "It's funny, I've had a lot more to drink than you, but I can still stand and walk, I'm not slurring my words and I'm not the one staggering up and down the street!"
He claims he's cutting back since then, I'm not sure yet.
As for the OP, I don't think it's any different than a lot of hardcore drug users, they get so used to having that much in their system their bodies won't function without it anymore. I'm lucky, the booze doesn't get me like that, but I really have to watch myself when I start on the pain killers and muscle relaxants! Fortunately my body doesn't like the pain killers much either anymore, so I only take them in dire need, but it's a fine line for a lot of people!

We should start a thread entitled, "I've got a neighbour....". Probably be long running.

My neighbour tells me that drink is the only thing that helps him with his depression, much more than some medication that has been prescribed. Then he will be telling me that it doesn't taste good, and for awhile he might lay off, but the way he starts hitting it hard soon, it must be tasting good again. I think that he needs to go into some hospital, but probably like V says, no self help desire in the mix and it is all for naught.

Im not much of a drinker, but even so, great pic, Mick!

Levi, good on you, good luck with it.

We should start a thread entitled, "I've got a neighbour". Probably be long running.

My neighbour tells me that drink is the only thing that helps him with his depression, much more than some medication that has been prescribed. Then he will be telling me that it doesn't taste good, and for awhile he might lay off, but the way he starts hitting it hard soon, it must be tasting good again. I think that he needs to go into some hospital, but probably like V says, no self help desire in the mix and it is all for naught.

Jay, I'm not going to be the voice of reason on this one.
Until you have personally lived with depression and its effects. Then dealt with the side effects of the meds that are supposed to help, you just really can't understand. I'm sorry.
I still have an adversion to fluorescent lights, they give me migraines because of the flashing, I can see them cycle. This is from meds I took over 15 yrs ago. But it's better than randomly feeling like I have an axe stuck in the side of my head, like when I was on it!
I can go on if someone wishes.
Alcohol slows my brain down enough that I can process all the things going on. I've been told a person can only process one thing at a time, come live a day in our lives, I'd love to see what people say after that.

Don't misunderstand, Andy, in no way was I minimising the difficulties of depression, but simply saying that my friend uses alcohol to help him get through it, which I think if you consider that he is also taking medication at the same time, along with some other health issues he has, not at all a good solution. Like I mentioned, my thought is that he needs professional treatment for the entire scope of the problem, both the drink and why he feels dependent on it. I really do understand that depression can be very painful and consuming. I like to check on him sometimes, will look through the window before knocking, and will see him in there with his head down on the table. I get fearful of what i might find. Not at all a good situation. Drinking to persevere might be one way to live, but in the living that way can be dying. Maybe it is the best thing to have found, but with my friend, he hasn't tried an alternative of treatment yet, pretty much refuses..

Back