Time for a bigger saw

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was cutting firewood today with my buddy who has the 362 so I got to use that and get a feel for the size. It is a definite step up from my current saw, but it showed me that I need to wait a bit and buy the next size up. This takes some of mess out of my comparison by removing the 60cc saws, but my note sheet is still a mess of numbers and specs (especially since the husky model numbers make no sense to me at all). I'm leaning toward the ms461 and the 576xp. Does the 390xp have autotune? The dealership I got my commercial mower from is about 45 minutes away and carries stihl and echo, my closest saw shops are 2 echo's and 1 stihl. I'll have to find a local husky dealer (there must be one near me, I just haven't looked into it yet) so I can compare with some out the door prices. "wait and buy bigger" seems the way to go, but I do not feel the need to go to a 661

No Autotune. The "3" series Huskys are older models. The "5" series are available with Autotune, but don't automatically come with it across the board. The "4" series is homeowner stuff that you can get anywhere. IIRC

Grendel nailed it.

390 and 562? Theyre not even close. One has 60cc and the other has 88. The 562 is way smoother imo.

Thank you guys for the explanation of the husk model numbers, they make sense to me now. I'm still debating between the 441, 461, and 576xp. I have a few more weeks to decide unless a job pops up in the meantime that i need a powerhouse for.

Whether it's Stihl or Husqvarna buy from your best reliable dealer. Most times a saw is only as good as it's dealer.
If you do go 576 as your main saw don't go with the high top HD airfilter. Their great in big thick barked softwood timber with long bars, but with shorter bars they really throw off the ergonomics , balance and handling especially limbing and topping smaller trees.
Up in the tree also more awkward and bulky. The air injection does a good enough job with the standard smaller filter.

Thank you for the advice, it looks like I can't go wrong. I may have to put it off a bit longer than I thought though, I just checked the title on my trailer which I thought was good for 3000lbs gvwr, its only 1500. I have 1080lb (dry) mower and just added about 500lbs worth of bagger to it, with other equip and collected clippings = no good. I knew I overloaded it when I haul wood from my tree jobs, but I can't overload it like that on a daily basis. So the bigger trailer search is on, then new saw.

I went with the 461 over the 441...more power for not a lot more money, it felt like it weighed about the same...not a huge noticeable difference, so taking those two things into consideration I went with the more powerful saw.

Now my skip for ground saws is 260 to 461...seems about right. I run a 20" on the 461 but I know I could put a 25' on it easily.

For me the 661 was just too big and too heavy, and not really justified or necessary for the range of trees I cut. At a pinch I can use the 461up in the tree for a few cuts too.

that narrows it down one more notch. Its either the 461 or 576xp. I'll check into them at the local dealers and see what the prices are, after I solve my trailer issue. Thanks again everyone for all of your advice

We have a 461 at work only used it a few times, its ok but for the weight it should have more power imho.

I've been running the 461 for a while, because my 441 got whacked by a cedar.
It is a rough fella compared to the 441, but it is actually growing on me.
For logging, where you run it 7-8 hours straight, I would still prefer the 441 for it's smoothness and low vibrations, but for the occasional cut, the 461 wins, because it has more grunt.

For me, that pushes more for the 461, I have a small smooth saw I can run all day and most of my work is not in big trees so this saw will not be used too heavily.
Anyone have any experience on both the ms461 and 576xp to compare smoothness and such?

I'm leaning that way, after hearing the 461 is a bit rough. I found there's a husky dealer about 10 minutes from my house, I'll have to stop by and see one in person, and do the same at the stihl dealer

I've been running the 461 for a while, because my 441 got whacked by a cedar.
It is a rough fella compared to the 441, but it is actually growing on me.
For logging, where you run it 7-8 hours straight, I would still prefer the 441 for it's smoothness and low vibrations, but for the occasional cut, the 461 wins, because it has more grunt.

Never ran a 441 but from what I have read, 441 would b my choice. Sorry stig to hear about your 441 getting snuffed I will pray for it. :(I would really like to try a 576 husky.

My 576 is the smoothest saw I have ever run.

I buy all my saws with full wraps if they are available. Its a west coast thing. :)

My vote for a 70cc saw is the Dolmar 7910. I have a 7900, and I prefer it over a 372 or MS440. Smoother and more powerful, with better handling. I've never ran a 441, 461, or 576, so I can't help with the comparisons to those models.

I have 7900, 371, 372, 575 and more. I have run a bit with 576 and tested quite a few others.
Not sure how the Stihls compare but if you want a Husqvarna that is better than 7900 in performance and durability, 390 is closest...
576 and X-Torq 372 rarely last long.

Never ran a 441 but from what I have read, 441 would b my choice. Sorry stig to hear about your 441 getting snuffed I will pray for it. :(I would really like to try a 576 husky.

Didn't get snuffed, just needed a new gas tank and handle bar.:)

I have about 6 months under my belt with my new 562XP, as with the 395XP. I've never had a saw this powerful and so easy to start, even while in the tree. (I've not yet carried the 395XP aloft!) The new auto-tune stuff from Husqvarna is great. I'm sure the next step up to the 576XP would be even more impressive than the 562XP. The new Husqvarna saws are a wonderful, wonderful piece of work. So smooth. No vibration. Super fast cutting. Easy to start. Easy to adjust the chain. These things are impressive.

Joel

Back