Stump grinding tips/ tricks/ tools.

Willard, yes that's right, there's definately no room for that machine in that situation.

I will soon have to tackle around 6 or so exposed root balls from blown over trees with a 27 hp machine. Would anyone recommend I maybe take along a pressure cleaner and carbide chain??? The pressure cleaner would be to help clean any sections before cutting. Im thinking it could speed up the process if I can cut away as much wood as possible and haul it away.... Anyone cut root balls with carbide chain before?

I love grinding above ground stumps/rootwads with a sharp (sharp) stump grinder. Little dirt to slow you down, no hidden rocks. I grind the roots first while heavy part of stump holds them. Some break off, near end of grind a liftable size piece of wood is left. From six stumps I would expect a pick-up size load of root ends, broken pieces, and pieces of wood to load up and haul off.

Carbide chain is so slow in a big cut of wood that you want to turn the saw on yourself in a few minutes. Carbide drags on wood and creates sooo much friction.

If you have sprawling roots above ground (or anywhere) that you did want to cut off the Oregon product Instasharp (?) is a consideration. I have 16 inch set up's I keep on one powerhead. Dulls like normal chain but after cutting a couple of roots you put on the sharpening cassette and it is back to sharp in 5 seconds. Cut a couple more roots and repeat. I got 12 to 15 sharpenings on a new chain from completely dull cutting in ground roots. (Always reinstall sharpening cassette in the same direction to use.)

Ooops! Google shows it to be Powerhsarp. Ebay often has good prices on new set ups here in the US. You need a bar as well at first.

I have yet to tackle a standard SF street tree stump....

a268b2d674032e129b8d8f8b98bc7690.jpg

2c18b250b4f228cce57f6052f502bd14.jpg

If a person was ever possessed enough that they wanted to build a business around doing these stumps they would want a New River Stump Gun.
http://newriverequipment.com/pages/stump-gun-vertical-stump-grinder

Excellent link Merle, I was thinking the same lines with those post hole auger stump removers.
But until I buy a skidder steer...........

It sure cuts better than a regular chain ;)
I'd never rip a stump out with a crane.
I've had good luck with carbide fwiw. In dirt, not stone

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I suggested a crane ONLY to hoist out a heavy, irregular stump that is 100% free of the ground, loading right into a dump truck/ trailer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just depends on access and size. A root wad might not fit through a gate, and might be quite heavy.

Having good credit helps too!

I just signed a piece of paper and assumed the note on a Rayco RG-100 with 72 hours from a buddy that was getting out of the tree business... He put 5K down and made the 1200 dollar payments for a year and a half and is totally anal about his equipment.. He dropped it off in my driveway last week... that was a very good week....

Having good credit helps too!

I just signed a piece of paper and assumed the note on a Rayco RG-100 with 72 hours from a buddy that was getting out of the tree business... He put 5K down and made the 1200 dollar payments for a year and a half and is totally anal about his equipment.. He dropped it off in my driveway last week... that was a very good week....

Well, let's see it!

Wow, that is a sweet deal.

So he must have gotten out all sudden like, given what you write?

Ya he found a partner to finance his new profession, flipping houses... He said all his friends in the tree business are driving old beaters while all his buddies that are doing real estate are driving new benzes

Yes...and i have very limited storage/parking space. Almost every stump here in the city is up against concrete....or through the house. Looking at getting solid stump work too, soon as I get the machine I'll change my ads to address this shift.

Having my own grinder will allow me to bid more solid on easy removals since I won't have to rent a grinder....

Yes...and i have very limited storage/parking space. Almost every stump here in the city is up against concrete....or through the house. Looking at getting solid stump work too, soon as I get the machine I'll change my ads to address this shift.

Having my own grinder will allow me to bid more solid on easy removals since I won't have to rent a grinder....

Good move.. I always like to find a nitch that needs filling and charge for it.. Just keep your prices high enough to make it worth the trouble..

Thanks Dan and Chris E.

Looking forward to it....
Just scored a tree and stump but sadly my machine won't be ready by then.

I called a couple subs.....

2c740d495ac1fee6b603af9de38f9770.jpg

8f56a447e75c3726c7e2879f2c63f40c.jpg

Back