Stump grinding tips/ tricks/ tools.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll bet as much as possible, for replanting in the same hole. A good thing to find out in advance.

What would the best practice for that be? Stump grind as deep then auger it out? Plant right away or wait? Up here they would put a planter box on top and plant a bush.... or leave it.

I wonder about one of those screw auger stump breakers on a mini. I've only seen them on a big tractor.

I think the Atom splitter would work on some stumps as long as you can get the screw to bite. I have had some big ash crotches the the screw would just drill in about three inches and strip out it's hold.

I find that works ok when the spike is on and it's bouncing a bit but on the pavement with no spike,it sucks,it's doable but not fun to me. I once did a magnum stump in a 4' raised planter that just had enough room to have the machine fit and be able to function,I ended up standing on the trash can to be at operation height...

They make a transportation wheel attachment,it slips on without having to mess with the pivot spike/foot,they are like little dolly tires.

I find that works ok when the spike is on and it's bouncing a bit but on the pavement with no spike,it sucks,it's doable but not fun to me. I once did a magnum stump in a 4' raised planter that just had enough room to have the machine fit and be able to function,I ended up standing on the trash can to be at operation height...

They make a transportation wheel attachment,it slips on without having to mess with the pivot spike/foot,they are like little dolly tires.
It sucks to run period.
Can an AM even get down that deep? Pretty sure 24" is max depth for an SC60...
Yes, it can.

Willard, yes that's right, there's definately no room for that machine in that situation.

I will soon have to tackle around 6 or so exposed root balls from blown over trees with a 27 hp machine. Would anyone recommend I maybe take along a pressure cleaner and carbide chain??? The pressure cleaner would be to help clean any sections before cutting. Im thinking it could speed up the process if I can cut away as much wood as possible and haul it away.... Anyone cut root balls with carbide chain before?

I will soon have to tackle around 6 or so exposed root balls from blown over trees with a 27 hp machine. Would anyone recommend I maybe take along a pressure cleaner and carbide chain??? The pressure cleaner would be to help clean any sections before cutting. Im thinking it could speed up the process if I can cut away as much wood as possible and haul it away.... Anyone cut root balls with carbide chain before?
I had a customer with a blown over tree once with the root ball up in the air. He hauled away the tree but left the upturned stump and root ball.
I was able to push the root ball back into the hole with the stump grinder, then I finished grinding out the stump.

There was a saw called a Ring Saw from back in the 1970s that landscapers used to cut lateral roots with, better then a carbide chain.

Willard, yes that's right, there's definately no room for that machine in that situation.

Check with SOTC/ Willie. He had to cut next to a house in the dirt, IIRC.

How big?

I'm told that a carbide chain is slow. Its not magic, unfortunately. Seems like lubrication will be a problem.

I'd rather have a pressure washer, and find out if it does/ doesn't help. If you're manually loading, it will be lighter with less rocks and dirt, maybe save a slow cut or 6.

Can you rip the stumps from the ground, and move them intact. An hour of crane time?

I just googled ring saws/craaazy saw, they look similar to a demolition saw used for cutting concrete etc, probably be the same tool. Sean a crane would be great, I'll probably take some photos and send to the crane op to see what they think (will want to use the smallest crane possible due to access/ground surface impact).

You can possibly winch one stump off of another other, working on both at the same time. Probably occurred to you.

Soaking the ground with a sprinkler overnight might help.

Do you mean pull them with the crane? Are they already free from the ground enough? A saws-all/ reciprocating saw and a lot of blades might be in order, too.

Use the stumper to cut the roots and load them out whole is my suggestion. We had some wind events here about two years ago that knocked down a dozen smallish trees at a condo complex and I was able to pull the stumps out of the ground with Sancho the Mini made for easy dirt refill.

I've ripped up some decent little stumps with the mini before too. I've even used the grapple in softer conditions to rip them out. Serious abuse.

If they've been dead a while (10 years is so) my mini tractor can pull up some big stumps as the roots have rotted away.
If it was cut down yesterday it wouldn't touch a 6 inch diameter holly.

Back