Stump grinding tips/ tricks/ tools.

Haha....I've been looking for a dirty little hog saw for stumping.....trust me...that 020 is about 12 years old and needs it's 3rd jug.....Thing is smoked...I can barely get the chain to spin enough to cut something. ...let alone a rock or the random steel bar. ....picked up another rebuilt 200 for $100.

I would say go pick up one of those 590 Echos I buy and pop an 18" bar and chain on it. But we recently ran into dirt ingestion issues. Gets by the filter. We are going to try an o ring for a fix for now until they change the filter issue. I bought their 45 CC instead, has nicer filtration on it and seems to be worth the money. Dunno. But hey, I could throw it away in a year and not GAS. Or give to a ground man, or chipper saw....
My other suggestion is just pick up a 026 or 260 on ebay for around 250 and put a 16" B&C on it. That would do the trick.

I like the 026 or the 260.......ebay huh?

Never used it. I'll have to look.
I'm currently in the market for a power pruner and a 395 also.....I can get both brand new for 2k at the dealership or fish on the internet.....

I picked up a 545 husky for about $550 I think and man is that an impressive saw light and has tons of torque at speed. It's running a 20" that I noodled a 36" white oak nugget full burry and it never bogged down once. Impressive for a 50cc and as mush as I hate to say it but it pulls harder than my 346xp ne with a 20".

Those vertical stump augers look to be interesting if a person wants to have a large piece of equipment around to handle it. Any idea what they are like if rocks or cement are a part of stump equation Hsell?

Deva, you sound like a person who could really benefit from using Oregon's Instant Sharp set up on a stumper saw. Cut roots etc in dirt till you feel you must sharpen, put the sharpening cassette on (oriented same direction each time) and use the saws power to sharpen in 5 seconds. Take cassette off and back to work.

Sharpen a chain from will not cut wood to sharp and cutting great again about 15 times before I called that one chain done.

Can be had far cheaper new off ebay at times than their retail price.

Ebay......sounds great!

Sharpening cassettes and 026's for sale. I'm going to look into the sharpening thing.

Generally, I sharpen on the tailgate panting and staring at the stump.

A verical auger might snap weak sidewalk with a spinning root?

I dunno. The most compact machine in the city is usually my two arms and whatever I can get between them.

Backyard access is Cookoo.

I got some numbers to call about some tree trucks scattered through the states and boast financing.

Oregon's system is a special chain and the cassette combo that work together. Then later you can buy chains and new sharpening stones separately.

Say if the system is $70 retail I have gotten them for $35 or so when stores were clearing them out. (Retail price is high for a person that doesn't understand the benefits and they are a bit grabby and bouncy cutting even when new and sharp.) I bought quite a few at that price in case they are discontinued.

By the way, files don't like to cut through 'rocked' chain and are dulled much faster by it than new chain. That's because the face of the cutter is 'work hardened' up closer to as hard as the file. The grinding stones in the cassette have little challenge with this phenomenon.

Thats good advice Merle, sounds to have more benefits over a carbide chain, sharpening a rocked chain onsite is the absolute pits imo.

Have you guys seen this? Not super useful for most of us but there must be a niche for it somewhere...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j68y6rih1pw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just bought an 026 off ebay for 225.I chose it because it looked clean and had the OG safety sticker on the hand guard.....better than my 020....I just can't stop sticking my 020 in to the stumps.....

After I get the saw I'll look into outfitting it with a sharpening cassette....

Today I felt bad for my 020 as I cut into a bunch of roots and the stump smoking it.....
bd564afb7939fa673eb82fbb85e7ffdd.jpg

Thats good advice Merle, sounds to have more benefits over a carbide chain, sharpening a rocked chain onsite is the absolute pits imo.

Have you guys seen this? Not super useful for most of us but there must be a niche for it somewhere...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j68y6rih1pw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The fence concrete may be one of it's better uses.

The problem I see with something like arborvitae stumps, is that a lot of hand cutting and digging is still required since the machine does not seem to cut the roots loose. On the other hand, it could ease removal if someone learns how to master the process.

Back