Opinions on Kubota L2800 Tractor purchase?

802climber

TreeHouser
We are looking at a 2006 Kubota L2800 4x4 diesel, 30 Horsepower, gear drive w/ sync shuttle, bucket, ag tires, only 417 hours.

Primary use is for our small farm, some rough/wet terrain but not too steep - Lots of brush hogging, tilling, snow removal, and some light loader chores.
Secondary use is for tree work - moving wood (obviously not big logs), managing chip piles etc.

Here are my thoughts... I am curious about yours!

PROS
Small machine is affordable and wife is more comfortable operating it.
Lower payment means I can afford actual tree equipment sooner (farm tractor is #1).
Lightweight machine is easier to transport and lower impact.
I think 2006 is Pre-DPF, so no emission system headaches.

CONS
Was hoping for a larger machine (40-50 HP), but they are so hard to find used!
Wondering if it will be too light and not quite enough power for our intended uses? (Definitely NOT trying to play log skidder or payloader with this machine. :D)

I have a l3400 2010 I think. I've rarely used it for treework but have a few times. I use it at home on my farm and in the winter to load sand for my sander truck. Around the farm one of its duties is pushing up the junk woodpile and it's quite capable for its size. I'll be posting some pics of this years pile soon when I light it off hopefully this weekend.

I've had mine since new and its worked flawlessly. Mines a hst(hydro tran) model which imo is far superior to a gear jammer for any serious loader work.

802Climber,

I own the smaller B-2920 Kubota. It will lift about 800 pounds on the bucket forks, but I need weight on the 3 point hitch in order to safely handle a heavy load. The L Series tractors are slightly larger and heavier machines. Absolutely fantastic tractors. The one you're looking at will be perfectly capable of handling some much larger logs.

I prefer the hydro transmission for loader work, but Kubota's gear tractors are great too. You'd really like the L-Series Kubota.

Joel

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys. I was originally hoping for a 40-60 HP tractor, but the idea of this one is definitely growing on me. The price tag helps. I grew up running the JD version (except no loader)... But we had a big tractor to pull it out with when it got stuck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You absolutely can NEVER go wrong with a Kubota. We ran 2 on the beef farm way back and when we had to sometimes fix the Fords (still love my Ford tractors the most) the Kubs stayed right on the field working. Great customer service and very dependable tractors imo.

All I know is that kubota makes a very dependable long lasting diesel motor. We have one in an old 773 bobcat that has 6800 hrs on it and my boss isn't to keen on maintainence. Oil change once a year whether it needs it or not.

I dont know anyone who does not like their Kubota. Pricey, but a good tractor, so Im told.

Couldn't agree more, I love mine.

All I know is that kubota makes a very dependable long lasting diesel motor. We have one in an old 773 bobcat that has 6800 hrs on it and my boss isn't to keen on maintainence. Oil change once a year whether it needs it or not.

Omg, that's a good one:lol:

Ya hate to see stuff abused but if it can take it in stride, mighty impressive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
By the way we did end up getting that L2800. It is a handy little beast! Thanks for the replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back