Woodworking

A real fun project that was inspired by a Loonie Tunes comic book. The background of the picture is a little confusing because I had to balance the carving on its end so that it would post right side up.

My head can’t work like that. Angles and dangles, round flat level square plumb, thats my world. I want to apologize for calling that a skill, it’s a art and you’ve got it.

It’s rather simple Jim, first ya cutout a bunch of stuff and lay it to the side...
C18EF395-EB2A-40C8-AC61-9A338DD7F459.jpg

Then ya glue’em together...
CCE83DB2-D8CE-4E46-B659-5BB90E538132.jpg
AB404B96-D559-4579-98AE-7BD3617C80B5.jpg

Then ya pile’em up on one another with a squirt of glue in between’em...
7B3D7943-5646-478C-A969-CB823859C9EB.jpg

Then ya just spin’em round and round and chew the ugly parts off...
644968D2-B286-45D8-8BBD-64EFCB04D6E1.jpg

That bowl is really beautiful.
I like to carve stuff. For me the irregularities add charactor.
Black walnut salad bowl i just rub it with olive oil once in awhile. We make salads in it.
image.jpg

Thx. But i prob wont carve black walnut again. The dust damm near killed me. It is very strong

Beautiful pieces frans and Bob. What types of woods did you use on the last bowl you showed, Bob?

First bowl was black walnut and red oak, second one is sycamore and purpleheart. Wish I had used oak and not sycamore, don’t really care for the variation in the sycamore.

2FhfvFT.gif

Just have the dust sucktion behind the lathe turned up as high as it'll go.

Thanks for the education on the bowl gouge Stig. You turned the most dreaded part of my play time into the most enjoyable.

If you had started the curve closer to the top ( Narrow part) it would have looked better.
As it is, it has a straight part before the curve starts, that takes something away from the overall impression.
You do some nice segmenting, with absolutely no spaces between the segments.

What you see as the top is actually the bottom. The fifth ring up from the bottom is 1/2 a segment out of rotation, it’s in line with the fourth. Each ring is supposed to stagger each other. I wasn’t woke when I glued it on. This piece would’ve been better used for its btu value. Live and learn.

Back