Woodworking

Right.
I didn't notice that, as I'm not used to judging segmented work.
That is a major f... up.

The left one has an ogive curve ending in a broad, flattish bottom.
Makes for an ok form, but looks dumpy.
The right one has a very slight ogive blending nicely into a rounded bottom ( As you've probably noticed, that could be a description of a woman, who is pleasing to look at) So is the bowl.
It has a much lighter appearance than the left one.

Instead of making the top of your rims horizontal, try to slant them a little upwards.
That, again, makes for a more lively look.

Your finish looks great.

Can you tell I used to judge woodturning shows:lol:

I appreciate your honest input, it hepls me learn. I hate it when I ask somebody what they think and they give me the ol fake “it’s so beautiful” when I know it isn’t. Thanks again.

I’m just playing around, not really trying to create a masterpiece. Just something to do to keep busy. If I learn anything along the way thats a bonus.

Hello, Been awhile since I have been here. On a whim I just wanted to see how hard it would be to get back in. It wasn't hard at all. Not having much to contribute to any other threads I decided this was a good one to reply to.

Just some woodworking I did on my wood lathe for my daughters wedding last year. The bowls were to become center pieces with a floral arrangement in them to be put on the guest tables. The big one made of walnut was for the brides table. My wife the wedding planner had little raffle at each table to give the bowls away to a lucky guest . They were a big hit to the lucky winners.

The vases was something I made for the ladies in the family for mothers day. I had a florist do the flower arrangement.

Attachments

• DSCN1583.jpg
    DSCN1583.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN1153.jpg
    DSCN1153.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 22
Did you turn the big one over 2 centers or do you have one of those chucks that can be moved out of center?
If you made that one without a lot of carving and sanding, I'm impressed.

Hey, I had to do that one the hard way. Planed a hunk of walnut down to a certain thickness with a power planer until it was flat and level on the top and bottom. Using a serving tray as a template to get a rough finish shape for the top and bottom . I then used an angle grinder with one of those Arbotech carbide cutting discs to scoop out the center and shape the sides to a rough shape and finished it by quite a bit of sanding and polishing the wood by hand. It took awhile but this was a special piece for my daughter. I never put soo much effort into a piece of wood but it was worth it.

I have no idea how you would do a piece like that on a lathe . I wished I did know how to do one on a lathe if that is possible . Those trencher style dough bowls are more popular compared to the regular style bowls. Sorry I didn't impress you:cry:

That one would be almost impossible to do as off center turning, so seeing it among all the fine, turned ones really made me sit up:lol:

Here is how you do oval turning:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/evR2ixUyvJ0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dang,that is one fancy and expensive looking chuck. That is also one good sized lathe to handle a chuck that big. My little outfit pales in comparison.

Those odd shapes aren't really not my cup of tea when it comes to turning on a lathe. I did a natural edge bowl once and final time. I didn't have much trouble turning it . It was when I tried to do the finishing part by sanding on the lathe . I almost lost a finger getting it caught on those wings . That was enough for me to stay away from doing any more of those style bowls or anything that does end up round in the end.

Hey Sean, I've seen those . Haven't made up mind to try one . It looks like an accident waiting to happen but a few comments on them say they aren't that bad to use and make quick work of wood removal. Maybe I just don't have the right stuff to try one reminds me of a kickback from a saw.

I hated to see those bowls get the inside beauty of the wood covered up with flowers but it wasn't my call. Thanks for the compliment.

Thanks MB

I have never seen that one Bob. Oh , I backed up a few pages . Those laminated ,segmented bowls you made are really nice. A bowl similar to what you made took first place at a annual woodworkers expo that is held at the lodge at one of our local state parks. Your in good company because this event draws all kinds of artisans who work with wood

Nice bowls and vases.

I built a small “rustic” table awhile back. It’s covered with junk at the moment but someday I will get this room organized.

DFA5BBF9-F908-47DB-9E5F-2F4E1DA92C06.jpg

F31FF91D-CD3A-46F0-9FD6-3558B08BC408.jpg

Back