Thread for ground workers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That suxs, in more ways then one, then again so am i. Maybe not text and drag anymore ?

Failed #1
Failed #2
Failed #3
Maybe #4
Failed #5
Failed #6
Failed #7
Failed # 8

You get the point,...

Start with a question or topic, Walker, like safe rope-man tips and tricks for...
catching a dynamic load or
lifting a load or
catching a load from an overhead rigging point or
rope management strategies...

- Rope management strategies. I would like to learn some new tactics to apply.

- Nylon stretch woven climbing pants with zippered pockets. I used Kuhl nylon rock climbing pants but discontinued as of this winter.

Let's start there. Thanks for taking the time.

My first question regarding tree work goes unanswered. never mind then.

Headsets for communication between ground workers and climbers. Are they worth it ? battery life decent ? whats are the best options nowadays.

We will have four headsets run 8+ hours everyday. The only time there is a problem is if someone forgets to charge their battery the night before. But Stephen is right, sena headsets will change your life.

Yes!!! Very worth it.

Walker start a new thread with a specific focus. Rope management is for the whole crew.

The portawrap, I heard there is more then one way to use it when controlling the decent. Earphone a very good idea, I use ASL sign language to communicate with Mike.

Learn to use a throw line for easy shots. You can tip-tie from the ground.

I've used a throw bag to avoid climbing, or needing help on jobs.

Repeat back to the climber what you have been instructed to do when rigging. " Hold tight at first to support the limb being swung with a facecut. When the hinge closes, let it run down away from you (climber). Slow it down before the roof, then stop it. We'll pull it from over the roof with the tagline you put on. I'm ready."

Better than "okay". You know you're working on the same plan.
My $. 02.

Generally, once you land a piece using friction at the ground (lowering device or trunk wraps), pay out a couple feet of slack, and remove the rope from your friction source. Gives slack on the knot, and allows the climber to adjust or remove a block, or the rope from the work area.

Will be one of your best investments for safety and efficiency. Let alone less frustration level for all concerned.
Look at the Senas. Good battery life. More units you are using in a day, the faster the battery runs down. Two head sets last all day. Three, maybe 5 hours with my experience.
http://rope-tek.com/helmet-communication-system/

Also, the more units you are using in a day the quicker the job goes. With four headsets, all jobs are usually done within four hours because the on job communication is bordering on ESP...

I deviced a system for that years ago.
A combination of GPS,heart beat monitors, and electric dog collars.
The comm units would be that last fine touch.

Back