RCW 3001 at work

RegC

TreeHouser
Some footage from a recent job. The winch gives us some nice options here. Not a huge tree but a fragile situation. The home owner did a fine job boarding out his glass railings beforehand. Thats not normal. Great work from Alex and Dave on the ground.

Use HD setting. Thanks

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YLB39P8_Bqo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great product demo. I'll be buying one for sure. Thanks Reg!

This tool would fit seamlessly into the crew, and work we do here.......................................................................................................................................................................

RC3001W holding up cali live oak from crushing chain link fence more in 2 areas

tension it up then cut branches/get weight off and repeat....wish I got more pics :|:

RC3001W is a great tool to have!! :thumbup:

Q0E5oip.jpg

QwgzNS1.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks all. And please excuse the self promotion at this time. Hopefully I posted enough product absent vids and pics over the last year that this don't irritate anyone too much. Thanks again.

Plus one from me, Reg. Really great to see how smoothly you manage things with regard to the rigging down, and the way you communicate with the ground men. Great camera angles. Just outstanding all around.

As far as I'm concerned, you are the Elvis Presley of the arb world. I can't get enough of your videos.

Tim

Self promotion is the way to go, I fully support smaller outfits developing and promoting their goods. Speaking of that, your video has but this device on my "purchase this year" list. The fact that it can tension the line or lift limbs in such a compact device and reasonable price really bumps up the "Gots Ta Have IT" factor. Great vid by the way

The GRCS has the two settings of a 44:1 mechanical advantage and a 22:1 mechanical advantage. Does anyone know how Stein's RCW 3001 compares as far as its mechanical advantage for lifting? I am afraid my google fu has failed me and I can't seem to find any numbers.

I feel like an idiot. I do quite a bit of searching around on the internet and yet somehow I didn't check the manufacturer's website. Go figure. The mechanical advantage gear ratio is 5.4:1 according to their website located below. It claims the maximum rated capacity is about 1,500 lbs. If my math is right you need more than 250 lbs of turning force to raise a 1,500 lb branch. I don't see myself doing that anytime soon. That compares to the GRCS which would require either 34 lbs of force or 68 lbs of force depending on which gear ratio you went with. Of course it would take 4 or 8 times as many revolutions so I guess it's a trade off. You can attach a heavy duty electric drill to speed things up and to take some of the work out of it which is nice. I wish the RCW 3001 could do that.
http://www.steinworldwide.com/proddetail.php?prod=SS-RCWINCH

Nick, just a suggestion but putting that gear ratio in the product description on Tree Stuff could be useful for people comparing the RCW 3001 to the GRCS.

EDIT: I would like to note that I realize if I was working with a 1,500 lb limb that I wouldn't be lifting the entire 1,500 lbs(at least initially) since it would be hinged at the base of the limb and the force tension would probably be coming at an angle and not directly overhead. At some point when I was in one of my physics classes I could calculate that if I was given a certain angle but it's been too many years and I haven't had to do that since my physics class.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I feel like an idiot. I do quite a bit of searching around on the internet and yet somehow I didn't check the manufacturer's website. Go figure. The mechanical advantage gear ratio is 5.4:1 according to their website located below. It claims the maximum rated capacity is about 1,500 lbs. If my math is right you need more than 250 lbs of turning force to raise a 1,500 lb branch. I don't see myself doing that anytime soon. That compares to the GRCS which would require either 34 lbs of force or 68 lbs of force depending on which gear ratio you went with. Of course it would take 4 or 8 times as many revolutions so I guess it's a trade off. You can attach a heavy duty electric drill to speed things up and to take some of the work out of it which is nice. I wish the RCW 3001 could do that.
http://www.steinworldwide.com/proddetail.php?prod=SS-RCWINCH

Nick, just a suggestion but putting that gear ratio in the product description on Tree Stuff could be useful for people comparing the RCW 3001 to the GRCS.

EDIT: I would like to note that I realize if I was working with a 1,500 lb limb that I wouldn't be lifting the entire 1,500 lbs(at least initially) since it would be hinged at the base of the limb and the force tension would probably be coming at an angle and not directly overhead. At some point when I was in one of my physics classes I could calculate that if I was given a certain angle but it's been too many years and I haven't had to do that since my physics class.

The gear ratio is not the overall mechanical advantage because it doesn't factor in the handle length. It takes nowhere near 250 lbs worth of effort from the user to dead lift a 1500lb load. Man that would be one crappy winch if it were true. Granted, its easier with 2 hands above 1200 but no big thing at all. No GRCS comparisons needed here....different product and price bracket. If you have questions I'm not hard to find either. Better that than posting damming verdicts without knowing the facts.

Back