White Hungarian pepper seeds

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I found some on ebay, from Windsor. I'll see what arrives. Wish I ordered it sooner, it's my Dad's birthday today. 85.

I just got a letter from the ministry of foodstuff and environment today.

They wrote to say that they had confiscated and destroyed 10 grammes of tomato seeds, sent to me from a company in the US.

I honestly didn't know it was illegal to import seeds from outside the EU, and what is more, I've done it for years and never had any problems.

They wrote that if I had any comments, I could send them an e-mail.

I was tempted to write, that if you can't tell the difference between tomato and melon seeds, you are probably in the wrong job, but decided to let sleeping dogs lie.

I've already got two other kinds of melons ( Imported from the US) sprouting, so no big deal.

That big book of Heirloom seeds that I mentioned the other day mentioned that it was mostly illegal to import seeds into the EU.

Espically seeds not approved or supplied by a very short list of approved EU seed dealers.

Mostly hybrid seeds were sold, so you could not save your own.

Maybe hogwash?

Some seeds probably fly in under the radar, custom's I don't think can look at every package, and probably have some priority formula worked out by the country of origin and what the package looks like. I remember that when Paul McCartney got nailed by Japanese customs for carrying weed in when arriving to give a concert, what alerted the men in blue to his offense was that the bag of weed was actually in part hanging out of his suitcase. Either he was very stoned or very stupid. After a week or two in jail he got put on a flight out though, being so very VIP. No doubt the British consulate got involved. Just about anybody else would have headed to the notorious Fuchu detention facility. It wasn't all a walk in the park though, when he asked if they would give him his guitar while being held, it was a definite no.

Back