660 Is A Heavy Booger

Gauge

TreeHouser
Well i ran the 660 all day today (8 am - 4 pm) because all we had were felling's. We had 6 big deadish Oaks. I haven't ran a big saw all day before and man it tried to woop me a couple times lol. The hardest part though imo was caring the saw to where you were going. When you get there you just had to let it eat. We should have the 394XP ready to rock after the rebuild next week and I am anxious to try it out. We have 2 partners that own the company and one is Stihl and the other Husky LOL. They keep trying to put me in the middle and I just reply " I like whatever cuts the fastest and easiest on that day, heck they are both orange!" LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, I have cut with it a lot, just not 6 hours worth in a row non stop. Lots of respect to jacks.

6 hours is a VERY short day in the woods.

Just saying.....................

Used them plenty up a tree, for ringing down obviously, more so in the UK than here, as drop zones tended to be tighter over there. If it's in the cut it doesn't weigh a thing, starting the next cut and then leaving the saw in the cut whilst pushing off the ring can help.
Hardest part is pulling it up a tall tree. Usually it's towards the end of the climb so you're tired anyway. I sometimes get cramp in my wrists/hands, have to unfurl my fingers, creepy!

I set a 3:1 and let the groundie haul the saw. It's dead easy if you use a pulley under your hitch, just pull a loop through between pulley and hitch, and clip the saw into the loop. Send your topper down that way, and it's all set for even the dimmest groundie to send the big saw up on.

It's a good idea and one I've heard before, but on the day I usually just think "oh clip it on and let's get on with it"

66 doesnt bother me at all either on the deck or rigging down wood. Setting up the block on big wood is more frustrating for me. Having a steel crab on the end of the rigging line helps in throwing it round the trunk twice!

A 660 from what I've seen is no where near what a good running 066 was .Highly restrictive exhaust system I believe is the cause of it .

Doesn't take long to turn any thread into a Stihl/Husky thread, does it?

Good to see you around Al.
I have 2 Stihl 066's. One is the early red lite with the dual outlet muffler. The newer 066 with the decomp even with a dual muffler is slower but still not as sluggish as a 660.
Porting #s on the early red lite were really good.

Doesn't take long to turn any thread into a Stihl/Husky thread, does it?

That's not a Stihl/Husky issue. It's a 660 is a dog compared to the 066 issue. A good 066 is just that, damn good. Unfortunately they are no longer made. I've heard the 661 is awesome, and if it was available last spring, I might have bought one instead of my new 395XP.

That's not a Stihl/Husky issue. It's a 660 is a dog compared to the 066 issue. A good 066 is just that, damn good. Unfortunately they are no longer made. I've heard the 661 is awesome, and if it was available last spring, I might have bought one instead of my new 395XP.

Unless you are a logger, I don't think the slight difference between the 066 and 660 will be felt much.
I mean, how much time does an arborist spend cutting, where time is so much of the essence?

I am a logger and have had both models, in fact run a couple of each to death.
Maybe it is just because I'm not a saw worshipper, but I never registered the big difference.
Yes, the 661 is a fine saw, but to me the difference is more in the air cleaning system amd the fact that it hardly vibrates at all.
I do, after all, run it all day long, so those things matter.
Whether it cuts 5 or 10% faster than another saw matters less.
It is not so much the cutting speed of the saw as my ability to fell without hangi ups, limb without getting the saw stuck and buck without getting screwed by bind that makes me money.

I'm a professional treefaller, not a saw nerd.

Maybe it has more to do with the disappointment that performance has gone down. You expect a new generation of saw to at least perform as well as the old, or why bother changing it? If the 660 doesn't cut like the 066, then you might as well get a 460 and save some money, weight, and fuel. Having an opinion doesn't make one a saw nerd.

I'm a professional treefaller, not a saw nerd.
HAHA Speaking of kneeling at your alter with your picture on top

You speak pretty highly of yourself Stig . Everyone knows a true professional woodcutter or craftsmen is a tool geek included.

Maybe a few too many hits of acid has warped your noggin a little?:lol:

Been a long time since I had any acid, Willard.
Haven't even had any flashbacks recently.

I have no feelings invested in my saws.
I run them, take them to the dealer when they don't run right and toss them out when they get old. Never think twice about it.
They are tools to me, nothing more.
I reserve my sentimental feelings for old dogs.

If that fact means that my 40+ years in the woods as a bushel faller count for nothing in your eyes, so be it.

I had feelings for a jacket I once had. Used to wear Levi Storm Rider jackets. That jacket had been right there with me through a lot of tough work, storms, soaking wet and all.

It was threadbare and showing it's insides through on about 25 or 30% of the jacket. One of my good customers went down to the store and bought me a new one. I was touched that she would do that and stopped wearing my old one not long after that. I loved that jacket.

HAHA Speaking of kneeling at your alter with your picture on top

You speak pretty highly of yourself Stig . Everyone knows a true professional woodcutter or craftsmen is a tool geek included.

Maybe a few too many hits of acid has warped your noggin a little?:lol:

Here i see quite a bit of the pro loggers...
They don't care much about the tool as long as it runs and do so at as low cost as possible.
Sadly that means 660 is out as Stihl is pretty pricey here unless you got them thru Logosol at the same time as you get a timber jig.

Back