660 Is A Heavy Booger

I stepped om Willard's toes last week, Magnus.
He is just trying to find a way to step on mine as retaliation.
I'm cool with that:D

Yeah different logging regions where chainsaws are used have different ways of doing things .This area going out to the west coast where saws are the money earners piecework is the way they get paid almost everywhere
The saws are only used by the owner who buys it and he takes care of it and maintains it himself . Some production cutters arbs included mod them for better production. Myself and other cutters I've worked alongside could talk for hours about saws, always looking for the "edge"

And I'm not even going to get into chainsaw speed competitions......:D

I stepped om Willard's toes last week, Magnus.
He is just trying to find a way to step on mine as retaliation.
I'm cool with that:D
It's all cool Stig we're even now:)
I'm having a hard time writing right now as I'm watching the 7th end of Sweden vs Norway curling match.
Very exciting match Sweden is leading 6 to 4.

My 660 cuts great, no complaints about it. Guess I'm either in the dark about many saws performance or I've gotton lucky and got the right saw. I've modded a few in the past mostly for fun. The 260's woke up quite a bit but I still hate them. Other than that all my pro saws have made me happy right outta the box. Even my 201's after removing screen

Love my older 066s. But I really only get 5-6 hours max out of myself lugging it about slopes and what not. Heavy bugger with a 32 or 36 bar on it.
I prefer it with a 28.
But then I prefer to run my 044 with a 24 bar or my 046 with 28. I can go at least 6 like that around the hills.

28" on my oldest 066 is perfect balance for me .I have 2 newer 36" Oregon .050 bars for it and used one of them only a few times..
32" on the 395XP.

When Stihl introduced the 066 in 1991/92 it was competing against the 394XP so Stihl made those early units extra peppy .Mine was a 066 Magnum Artic with the dual outlet muffler. Like I said they made their maiden introduction with good porting, higher compression ratio and no decomp.
Something many younger endusers today never had the opportunity to experience .

I have al older 066 no decomp and one a tad newer with one. I think the older one, once I freshen it up, should pull a 42 bar no problem. Both have a dual port muffler and the older one is higher comp.

Mine wears a 42" bar most of the time.
I remember the first day I ran an 066 all day chasing landing. I had been used to running an 044, I could barely start the thing by the end of the day. That was '92 when I shoulda been in high school....

Willie, I finally took Al's advise and put a D handle on one after Rob about broke his finger starting my original (regular comp) 066. Made life ton's easier... But I hear ya mang

I am not big on mod. saws now. Just quiet and smooth. That said, dual port muff. with a foam air cleaner really makes a big difference. The biggest thing is the cutter chain which seems to take decades to get right.

Haha, Stephen, it was my arms that wanted to fall off from bumping knots all day with it. But I could see that being easier to hang onto.
I hated washing foam filters so I gave up on the green weinies and max flows

I'm thinking that running a very heavy saw consistently isn't just a possible downside for the day, it can mess you up in a more permanent fashion, like arms and shoulders.

I wonder what the manufacturers were thinking about weight, like when Stihl made the 090 gear drive. Talk about a beautiful lug. The fun is watching people just go and pick it up, if they can. I do like the tiny can for the muffler. :lol:

Tom has both a 660 and a 460 of which he prefers the later .I've ran both and strange as it might seem the 460 is not far behind the larger as far as power .

Production falling the 85cc 064 was my biggest saw and it was as heavy as a 046.
My 066 I just used only for firewood production. With 28" b/c I noodle split alot of big crotch rounds with it.. Great saw for firewood espescially big birch.

I've just ordered a new saw for the woods - the auto-tune version of the 441. Heated handles of course & I think she will run nicely with an 18" bar.
I'm keeping my ported 440 for Arb work - not as kind to my hands, but the exposure time is limited.

That is what I run, Pete and since our woods are similar, I think you'll be very satisfied with that setup.

Yep same here 18" b/c on a 60-87cc powerhead. In sawlog size softwood timber 20". The odd old growth oversized stands 24".
Pulpwood only 14-16" b/c. On 50-60cc powerhead. :)

Yeah that's a great shot of that pine, what's that white boom behind it?

I sure wish I had photos of the oversized white spruce I logged back in the '70s here in Manitoba.
I wasn't on spurs like Bixler but I was about 17 felling on a strip of spruce that was on the average 36"-48"dbh with no limbs for the first 75ft some topping out at 150ft.
I had a 5 footer on the ground limbed and topped for our little TJ 230. Poor skidder had a chore getting it to the landing and the ground was perfectly flat.
That was the biggest timber I logged here in Manitoba, just north of The Pas along the Saskatchewan border along the Goose River.Some of that big timber was so thick you couldn't drive a skidder between them.

Back