Ponderosa's/barkbeetle/drought/

BOTS

TreeHouser
Stephen posted this on his FB page....good vid to watch!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xEF1UtKxb9I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im starting next week on removing 20 crispy critter pondo pines in my area

Bet I've taken down almost a hundred or so trees already this year (2015) so far and still have tons more to go that are scheduled. Nothing compared to what the loggers are doing, but hey...

When I visited the area 3 years ago, I was shocked to see how many were dying.
Huge sugar pines, too.

We even see it in the city- but on different species- Canary Island pines, monterey pines, and italian stone pines. Tree lined streets being obliterated. It sucks. We inject as many as we can. Sometimes people freak out when we tell them it's $400 to inject it...then the tree dies and they pay $2,000 to remove it.

YUP! At this point th tree has to be seemingly healthy for even the injections to work. Any bit of brown, consider it a removal.
Exception would be normal die back

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im telling HO's that they need to get water on them pines/furs around there home...

All those dead pine must have fire crews terrified. Sad! It's like the ash bore we have here dead trees everywhere.

.... We inject as many as we can. Sometimes people freak out when we tell them it's $400 to inject it...

Nick, what are you using and have you seen any positive results? We are going to be starting an injection program this year, using Arborjets Quickjet Air. From the reports I have read best translocation of the pesticide requires that a fungicide be used at the same time.

Nick, what are you using and have you seen any positive results? ... From the reports I have read best translocation of the pesticide requires that a fungicide be used at the same time.

We use the Arborjet tree IV system. Pretty much love it- though it's not perfect. We used Mauget capsules prior, and the quick-jet....both of which I hated. So the Tree IV is leaps and bounds above both of those.

For coniferous bark beetles, we are injecting Tree-äge. We don't combine it with any fungicide. That makes sense, considering how the bark beetles operate. But Arborjet has never recommended that. Did you get that recommendation FROM Arborjet?

I'll inject if I see maybe like 10-20% dieback and still feel good about it. When we get to 30% I tell people they're hoping on a wish and a prayer....but sometimes they decide to inject anyways.

We have a few very proactive clients that inject strictly to protect. More common is people with a small grove- one dies. They call us to save it. We tell them it's toast but we need inject to save everything else.

love
nick

When you are as far north as I, there aren't that many species to choose from.
Losing first the Elm and now the ash leaves us with only 2 good native hardwoods for forestry.
Not good at all.

Back