Power Brooms

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Whatcha you using and likes and dislikes.

I really over did it this year with the limestone gravel 5/7 size thrown 6'/8' on both sides of 700' drive and in front of house. Happens when plowing snow. Sure didnt look like I was getting into it that bad till snow melted.

Any how over the years I have many types of rakes even nice aluminum landscaping rakes etc. As I get older I am looking for easier ways and have been using a leaf blower with flat end with great results last couple years.

Yesterday wife raking and me leaf blower got the front area of house cleared in about half hour. Only 20'/30' or so. Now for the big job.

Over the years I have had a chance to buy the Shin power brooms used and something always happens and I end up not buying one.

Now I want to see if anyone has used one of these things made by echo shin stihl husky dolmar etc? I want to know about getting gravel out of grass.

Stihl.jpg

4521.jpg

power-broom.jpg

StihlBroom_02.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Tj69AxCt9eg?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My local husky dealer has this lawn sweeper for $90 for 4 hrs. Worst case scenario if I cant get it before grass starts growing. Can be angled.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/njnsibzIO90?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If someone has one they dont use let me know $ or trades on a chainsaw.

I have a Shindaiwa Power Broom. They were the first one to offer a broom around here back in the late '90's. We thought we'd died and gone to heaven.:lol: We used to wear out those big coarse bristled street brooms trying to get gravel and sand off of the lawns. One PB replaced at least 3 sweepers. I bought one when I was in landscaping. It needs a carb kit now, haven't used it in about 10 years. Sorry, I won't part with it. Might have to sweep up a pebble someday, and I'm not going back to a broom.:lol: I think mine was a PB270, but I can't close enough to it right now to see what the tag says.

I have a weed eater with the river broom from Stihl, sure nice for stumping

I have a Shindaiwa Power Broom. They were the first one to offer a broom around here back in the late '90's. We thought we'd died and gone to heaven.:lol: We used to wear out those big coarse bristled street brooms trying to get gravel and sand off of the lawns. One PB replaced at least 3 sweepers. I bought one when I was in landscaping. It needs a carb kit now, haven't used it in about 10 years. Sorry, I won't part with it. Might have to sweep up a pebble someday, and I'm not going back to a broom.:lol: I think mine was a PB270, but I can't close enough to it right now to see what the tag says.

I passed on a couple of the shins in 2013 for $125-$150 with carb issues. Wish I ad grabbed one now.

Back into a gravel 700' driveway is where I will be using.

Butch you asking about video? He was just doing that for his rental vid.

It looked like it was just stirring shit up.

They had already cleaned all the gravel from the road from their front lot.

They shot the video afterwards for some reason on a to late thought I guess. Just to show how it worked. I uploaded the video to my tube acct so it would right side the video for me to watch.

Those were originally patented by Ron Bergman of Bottineau, ND, the local Stihl dealer. Shindawa was the only company interested in them at the time. I used one of his prototypes at a display he had for Crazy Days in Bottineau. Farmers liked them to sweep out grain bins. They work good on snow if it is not too deep and you angle it as you walk. The paddles on the drum were originally from the belts on grain pickups for harvesting swathed cereal crops. Jim, you probably still have them in use from Sund Manufacturing in Newburg, ND up in your area. Early 90's is right on when they came on market.

How so? I'm thinking they would work well for stump cleanup. Perhaps well enough for me to consider pushing that service!

Well, we would not use it for stump cleanup, we leave the sawdust to fill the hole.:D:D Also, I would have to agree with MasterBlaster, seems to just stir up dust. I just can't think of anything that thing does that a good blower wouldn't do better.

It's great for getting sand and gravel out of your lawn after a winter of snow plowing. It will also move a lot of heavy debris that a blower won't.

With 1000' of gravel road frontage x 2 (both sides), I'll stick with my rear tractor mounted sweepster....by the time spring rolls around the grader operator has stones 10' into the yard.

Ed

It's great for getting sand and gravel out of your lawn after a winter of snow plowing. It will also move a lot of heavy debris that a blower won't.

There isn't much in the way of debris that a BR 600 won't move.

We love ours. Especially for stumps. Also that final clean up along the curb that most people blow back and forth. It will rough rake a lawn faster than a guy with a rake as well

I'd seen these in the shops but never really knew what they were for, I've seen a demo on YouTube so now I know, I think I'll get one!

There isn't much in the way of debris that a BR 600 won't move.

Maybe in treework, but when it comes to spring cleanup on the landscaping side, a backpack blower will not replace a power broom for what a power broom was intended for, especially embedded gravel in a lawn.

Maybe in treework, but when it comes to spring cleanup on the landscaping side, a backpack blower will not replace a power broom for what a power broom was intended for, especially embedded gravel in a lawn.

There it is key word Gravel. Size 57 limestone.

The video was made not moving anything, the area was already clean. It was just showing it running. :lol:

Well I had a moment of madness today and ordered the Stihl one, with the paddles as opposed to the bristles, I guess that will be more useful to me (tree work, stump grinding) if the reverse is true someone tell me now so I can change the order.

Back