Dodge Ram Laramie 1500

Just got my first truck for my business and it's a 2011 F-250 diesel. good for hauling the stump grinder, tools, and the workers. Our dump truck dosent have a tool box so my bed is the tool box for now. But that Dodge looks awesome. FullSizeRender-2.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, but its gonna sound like his Ford. Rattle rattle rattle, smelly little diesel. Does that get chicks hot in Europe? Dont work in the US unless it is a full size diesel pickup. You cant brag to a chick about how many liters to the Km it gets if it is a microscopic diesel. Now, 5.9, 6.6, 6.7, 7.3 liters, thats a different story.

Get the gas motor, run alcohol when you want to save money, gasoline when you want knickers to drop. Get a set of truck nuts, do this thing right!
Jim is right of course, this purchase would be guided by my nuts rather than my head, common sense dictates that I spend that sort of money on a grab truck.
There are also issues here about being too flashy, in order to run around in a head turner like this you have to be squeaky clean business wise, my brother in law gets the tax inspectors in his office every two years for a week or two going through everything.
Wife is decidedly cool on the idea.

Appreciate it Matthew, I'm a man who has made more than his share of mistakes, I try to think long and hard about this stuff.
I find that a 5 day period of reflection usually works.

5 day period of reflection sounds good!
My confirmation bias on Dodge vehicles is negative, despite only ever owning one (Dakota long box 2wd) years ago that was actually a pretty decent reliable critter.

If your gonna have mid life crisis .....get something more fun to drive then pick up truck

You make a fair point, my BIL has an assortment of fast vehicles from an E type jag to some kind of racing lotus, I can honestly say they don't interest me one bit. I'm losing my hard on for this a bit and starting to look at grapple trucks now!

You must have a little American in you. We have always liked hot pickups.

Australians are the same way, those dudes have some REALLY hot utes. Nothing wrong with it.

You have heard of the mullet right? The mullet works because it is two things. Business up front, party in the back. A pickup can be two things too, just business in the back. You cant haul firewood in an E type.

Mick,( the Americans are probably gonna hate me for saying this), don't expect the kind of build quality in this that you are used to in European/japanese vehicles.

A buddy of mine had a life long dream of owning a Ford 250. Just before the crisis struck, he bought one, could easily afford it.
He has regretted it for the simple reason that it didn't hold up the way he expected.
Lots of little mechanical and electrical problems that one doesn't expect from a new truck.

Well the non American vehicles notably the Japanese have always rusted out before wearing out and they still do.
Todays North American pickup trucks are better then they ever were before. The new diesels don't smell especially the new Dodge Eco diesels.
Broken frames? Hardly that's history as the new pickup frames are square tube construction front to back .Yeah the old C channel back in the day had problems.
The new Dodge 1500 Ram with it's new coil suspension rides better then most cars.
1/2 tons pickups may me regarded lightweight in North America but their still rated up to 10,000 lb pulling capacity. There you got a tow truck and car all in one.:)

Ok Mick, forget the grapple truck and go back to enjoying your midlife crisis! I'm gonna throw you a bone! You want flashy? You want something with some balls? You wanna have fun driving it? Everything in one kick ass little package! http://m.holden.com.au/cars/ute

Well the non American vehicles notably the Japanese have always rusted out before wearing out and they still do.
Todays North American pickup trucks are better then they ever were before. The new diesels don't smell especially the new Dodge Eco diesels.
Broken frames? Hardly that's history as the new pickup frames are square tube construction front to back .Yeah the old C channel back in the day had problems.
The new Dodge 1500 Ram with it's new coil suspension rides better then most cars.
1/2 tons pickups may me regarded lightweight in North America but their still rated up to 10,000 lb pulling capacity. There you got a tow truck and car all in one.:)

Yup, it's just that the jap stuff will now do 300,000 plus miles and then be exported to Africa where it will do the same again.....

Might rust out eventually, but you don't see rusty cars in Europe and more, Japanese or otherwise.

Everything gets exported, even relatively new vehicles. Can be hard to get good used commercials, especially tippers.

I've had jap pick ups for a long time. Toyota/Nissan/ford (rebadged Mazda) they are super reliable, rust free all round top quality vehicles. Plus a Land Rover which was the worst thing I ever bought.

They don't stir the blood or turn heads but they are bloody brilliant at what they do.

Those big US pickup trucks don't stir my blood at all.
Especially not at the gas station.

Yeah I know, I just drove my mates and then the black one came up for sale, then all of a sudden I was 17 again
And I thought "I could have that" then I went to bed, woke up and I was 51 again!

Probably for the best Mick. 5 days of reflection...

I have a similar process, I buy there and then and then go through 5 days of justification.

I had a Ford Courier (Mazda) pickup. The thing ran for years flawlessly until I had to retire it because the body was rusted out so bad.
Brother has a fancy Toyota Camary car same issue after 10 years rusted right out.

Mick you may look into a full size VW pickup looks almost like that black Ram 1500.
Don't think their available here in North America but when I was in Mexico a few months ago I saw this beautiful black full size pickup come down the street .I couldnt figure out what it was until it turned the corner and I saw VW on the tailgate.

Back