Dodge Ram Laramie 1500

Mick!

TreeHouser
Ok Petrol heads! I'm looking at one of these, it can run on ethanol and also has a gas conversion.
Not petrol I mean natural gas or something I don't know what you call it over there, plus it can run on petrol.
290 hp or thereabouts, I know it's fairly mundane over there but over here it would be a real panty dropper.
Here's some pics, whadda you guys think of them?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 93
Nice looking rig, if 4 wheel drive even better for pulling and off roading.
I think you mean propane conversion as we have that here too.
Since Dodge Chrsyler have joined with Fiat they now offer that 1500 Ram with a Fiat diesel engine here in North America. Pricy though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes its 4wd, that's essential.
Propane yes that's it.
As for diesel, with ethanol it should ease the fuel costs a bit, it has to be petrol because they sound soooo cool.

(Did someone say mid life crisis?)

5.7 liter Hemi 345 hpV-8 with Torqueflight 8 speed transmission also spells mid life crisis too Mick:D
That pickup looks like it may have the air suspension package.

I don't have much good to say about them, sorry. Weak frames, if you are towing much the frame will break between the cab and the bed.
The fuel mileage ratings they give are when the engine is "eco mode" meaning you have to drive the thing with less that 1/4 of the throttle or you will be at a gas station regularly! We rented one in California when gas was $3.46 a gallon, $40 got us 90 miles!
You can pick them up cheap used around here, people buy them because they look cool, then wear out the first set of tires and find out how much it costs to replace the tires! Those 19 or 20" tires are around $2200 a set, here at least.
Then it's a Chrysler product, and lets just say they haven't been building the best products recently.
Sorry Mick, just my opinions.

That's what I'm after! (Opinions)

TBH I have absolutely no idea about these sort of vehicles, I run a 2.4 diesel ford pick up over here and that draws admiring glances!

How much is it?
I'm thinking you may need very deep pockets for the running costs.

Cost is €40000, it's about a year old, ethanol is €3.50 a gallon as opposed €7.00 for petrol.

But keep in mind that ethanol isn't going to burn as well as petrol! You will get about 65-70% out of it vs petrol. Meaning that your millage is going to drop when you use ethanol. In the US it's pretty much a wash, the ethanol is cheaper, but you have to buy more, so it's no different than using petrol at the end of the day!

You could buy a brand new 1500 Laramie here in North America for 40,000 Euros($44,000US)
If your serious the Laramie with the V-6 Eco Diesel would be a good choice if available in Europe.
Best fuel mileage full size pickup in N.A.

A buddy of mine has one of those Laramie Eco diesels and is really happy with it, even has the air ride suspension that would rival a Citroen hydraulic suspension. Even the Dodges standard rear coil suspension is the best ride of the top 3 half ton's suspensions
When Dodge first built that 1/2 ton diesel they turned down Cummins who offered a small diesel but the Fiat powerplant was the choice decided on. So far proven to be a good engine.
Laramies come with leather interior which is another bonus, order the seats heated/cooled or maybe that comes standard with leather not sure.
8 speed tranny is rumored to be good too.

Yeah, but its gonna sound like his Ford. Rattle rattle rattle, smelly little diesel. Does that get chicks hot in Europe? Dont work in the US unless it is a full size diesel pickup. You cant brag to a chick about how many liters to the Km it gets if it is a microscopic diesel. Now, 5.9, 6.6, 6.7, 7.3 liters, thats a different story.

Get the gas motor, run alcohol when you want to save money, gasoline when you want knickers to drop. Get a set of truck nuts, do this thing right!

Dodge all the way for me. It's all opinion. I can say the Fords and Chevy's fall apart all day long, too. We've had great luck with our Dodges.

The real facts? Buy what makes you happy, and you'll love it. If you were skeptical in the first place, you're probably going to find a reason to hate it.

Personal taste mostly. All the Ford pickups I've had through the years felt like they were made for short people. Love my F450 but wish it had a Cummins in it.

How volatile are propane prices in Europe?

Back