HH 2

Wow that is an old one. Believe it or not, but I turned that dogbone on a lathe and drilled the holes. Cannot believe the amount of time I used to put in for ropetek, those days are done.

Because Tobe Sherril frigged you over, or for a different reason?

I'm betting that there never will be a rope-working tool that will be more rugged, safe or last longer than the HH.

A RW doesn't wear much, does it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not much, but the roller is a consumable part that does need replacing periodically. Not wearing much is not the same as virtually indestructible. For rough and tumble tree work, the Hitch Hiker rules.

Because Tobe Sherril frigged you over, or for a different reason?

Sherrill ripping off the Comm systems was inevitable as I had no legal protection and they have NO ethics, the really disheartening thing was the arb community never even mentioned it. I put years of my life into Ropetek, every free moment I had and introduced a rope ascender at 1/4 the price of the next available unit, constantly fought retailers who wanted to raise the price so they could make better margins. I built the Wraptors to be a safe and durable as I could for tree use and did so in the US at an affordable price. Same with the HHs, cheapest climbing device out there and bomb proof. I sold the comm systems for $310 per helmet which was the exact same price you could buy the components from the cheapest source but already assembled. I did this as I knew how important they were for safety. Everything I did was genuinely to help the tree workers.

Im just burnt out on it, I focus my energy now on my tree company which BTW makes way more money than Ropetek ever did and have started to ride my bike again which I gave up for 7 years. I still have lots of ideas for products but with Sherrill lurking to steal everything there is no incentive to put effort into them

Yes Im a bitch

the really disheartening thing was the arb community never even mentioned it.

That was pretty much why I brought it up now.
I feel it needs to be mentioned once in a while.
No reason to make it too easy for Tobe to rip people off.

Personally, I can't understand how the relatively little misstep from Kong got everybody and their grandmothers on the barricades, while this was almost totally ignored.

Sherrill ripping off the Comm systems was inevitable as I had no legal protection and they have NO ethics, the really disheartening thing was the arb community never even mentioned it. I put years of my life into Ropetek, every free moment I had and introduced a rope ascender at 1/4 the price of the next available unit, constantly fought retailers who wanted to raise the price so they could make better margins. I built the Wraptors to be a safe and durable as I could for tree use and did so in the US at an affordable price. Same with the HHs, cheapest climbing device out there and bomb proof. I sold the comm systems for $310 per helmet which was the exact same price you could buy the components from the cheapest source but already assembled. I did this as I knew how important they were for safety. Everything I did was genuinely to help the tree workers.

Im just burnt out on it, I focus my energy now on my tree company which BTW makes way more money than Ropetek ever did and have started to ride my bike again which I gave up for 7 years. I still have lots of ideas for products but with Sherrill lurking to steal everything there is no incentive to put effort into them

Yes Im a bitch

Great post, Paul.

Btw, do ride road or trail?

FWIW Paul, I mention your contributions pretty regular. I hope one of our local guys, Brett, got in touch with you and got a Wraptor.

Tell me you did not stop making HH? Or at least some one is producing it for you.

That was pretty much why I brought it up now.
I feel it needs to be mentioned once in a while.
No reason to make it too easy for Tobe to rip people off.

Personally, I can't understand how the relatively little misstep from Kong got everybody and their grandmothers on the barricades, while this was almost totally ignored.

Agreed stig. Paul has been a great contributor to our industry and I hate to see him get screwed over by the "big" guys.

My HH and HH2 will always be key pieces of gear for myself and my climbers.

Thanks Paul!!

My HH2 came in yesterday. I've been meaning to get one for quite a while. This may be the best piece of kit I have ever seen!

I got mine used, so I'm just wondering if there is a website that has the manual or any written documentation available. Thanks.

I'm surprised that didn't come with it.

puzzled.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
....This thing is currently blowing my mind.... Hitch hiker, where have you been all my life....

Very cool! I am actually amazed when someone doesn't rave about the HH. Hitch cords types and the number of wraps can make big changes in how it works but so can small adjustments in the length of tails. When you first set it on the line it should be so tight that it is difficult to move. Sit back on it with a firm bounce and then pull the tail to release it. Do it again. If it feels right, climb, if not, readjust and do the setting process again. Most times that will stabilize the hitch enough that it will remain the same through the entire climb.

Thanks Dave. The main reason that I didn't get one years ago was because I assumed that it would put my hitch much further away from me. There are times with a floating bridge saddle that I can barely reach my hitch when I am turned hard away from the rope, so I assumed that having something between my bridge ring and hitch would just make it worse. I thought that you just used the same hitch and cord with the HH as you did in DdRT. I didn't realize was that there was a specifically recommended knot that would alleviate the problem. I really wish I would have found out about this sooner, this thing kicks ass...

Also, I have always used the name French Prusik for a minimum 7-wrap hitch with no wraps. This is my standard way of attaching a fiddle block to a pull line, for instance. What do you guys call this HH knot?

HH and HH2 is awesome. Makes me look like a good climber. The easy change over is great on removals, use it DdRT as a second lanyard or choke it on the spar as a bailout line.

That's ok, I found it.

http://rope-tek.com/hitch-hiker/instructions/

This thing is currently blowing my mind.... Hitch hiker, where have you been all my life....

But you still went the cheap way and bought a used one.

Couldn't handle the thought of Paul making a profit from his invention, I guess.

That'll pave the way for many new inventions to make our lives easier, for sure.

"But you still went the cheap way and bought a used one.

Couldn't handle the thought of Paul making a profit from his invention, I guess."

Wow, really?

I had just been thinking of all the ways I could help spread the word, and sell tons of these for Paul.

May be just me.
It often is.
Like I frequently point out, English is not my first language.
But read your first post again and tell me it doesn't come of awfully cheap.

I mean, if I lust enough for a piece of equipment, I'll buy it.
Be happy about supporting the , in this case, expatriate Brit who invented it.
Not wait till I can get it cheap at some yard sale, then go here to find a manual for it.
That sure is the way to encourage people to invent new stuff for us all.

I'm probably reading too much into this.
The way you wrote it, combined with Paul recently talking about his trouble with Sherrill and being disillusioned about inventing things just made me tee off on you.

Won't happen again.

Sorry.

On the other hand, I was the one who suggested that Jaime do a fund raiser in order to get the Akimbo off the ground.
I was also the one to put $1000 into right at first to show I believed in him.

I'll be ok Stig. It wasn't from a yard sale, I had a buddy who wanted to get rid of it and try something else, I told him to just have both but he was strapped for cash, plus I had been wanting to try one out for years, so I pulled the trigger. So glad I did, this thing is amazing. I actually have a really big audience online, I want to get the word out. Paul, you've turned me into a raving fan!

Back