HH 2

Like I said, I probably read too much into your post.

Post # 155 and the following ones may explain.

Nope.
It is a Valdotain, not a Valdotain Tresse.
Tresse means braid, there is no braid in it.
That comes with the Valdotain tresse or as we know it: VT.

The original Valdotain was simply a series of turns around the climbing ropen that fell into a certain figure, when put under load.
I remember Jerry B. saying that he climbed on that for years, never knowing the name.

So you could call it a 6-1 V and be correct.

Doesn't matter shit, really.
Just old history of climbing knots.

I would count where the 2 legs cross in front as a single braid. The way I tie my Valdotain (what I refer to as a French Prusik) the legs do not cross at all. It's tough to explain without pictures. Not looking for an argument, just clarification...

Exactly.
When the legs don't croos, it is a Valdotain. ( Which I was taught back in the days before most members here were out of diapers)
When they cross, it is a Valdotain tresse, aka VT.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is the HH knot. No other knot terminates into a floating dog bone. Depending on the rope and hitch cord used it will work with just 3 or 4 wraps too and still grab every time.

The Petzl Fixe pulley as a tender pulley, sides plates straddling the bridge ring, clipped to the carabiner, Dave/DMc style, is my recent upgrade. The pulley I had wasn't quite right.

Have you seen that Muggs?

To me the HH is best arbo tool hands down...SRT, switch over to DRT in a pinch ;)

Muggs, I do 6 wraps with 9mm epi-cord on 12.7mm samson vortex...but all varies on your set up of course...enjoy

HH fan all the way here, someday will upgrade to HH2 just for the more compact size.

My self tending improvement is a bent gate biner clipped to your bridge ring and clipped over your rope just where it comes out at the bottom of the HH. Easy on, easy off.
However since I switched to Tachyon 11.7 with the beeline, I haven't needed anything extra. It tends very much better than the XTC 13mm I started on.
My VT is 4:1 (I think...I mean the legs do cross once at the bottom...)

Looks good, your knot is the same as mine. Tie it more snugly from the start...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't see how the termination changes the construction or classification of the knot. To me it is a 4, 5, or 6 wrap, 1 braid VT, 'tis all.

People shouldn't take me too seriously. I just sometimes see things differently than everyone else. I am good with your explanation but just for the sake of discussion, what makes a Distel a Distel and not a Tautline, or a Schwabish a Schwabish and not just a Prusic?

Patrick, what is the blue and white loop? Clip-in for a tending apparatus? Does it load it crooked?

I use a piece of tech cord tied as an eye to eye, one eye on each side of the HH.

Just got a chest harness, which might mean the tech cord goes away.

Good eye Sean. That is a little tether that I bought about 9 years ago for lanyard adjuster cams to help them swivel. I don't think they make them anymore. I figured it would work as a clip in point for my chest biner in a rope walking setup. It has an eye on either end, loads in the middle, works real nice...

TM glad you found a good deal on a HH. Seriously! As everyone here knows I love getting cheap old shit that is durable and will put in good service. Pretty much every vehicle I own including my crane is 20 years old and runs great. I really don't get to climb enough anymore but when I do it reminds me why I continue to make HHs. Bullet proof (literally) and pretty danged functional even if I do say so myself

Back