Stihl 362

bstewert

TreeHouser
I'm in the market for a saw around the size of the 362, and wonder pros and cons of the Quickstop feature. Or other comments on the saw, in general.

Same thing I've been hearing. Heavier, and less power. I know I sound like a salesman for Husky anymore, but I'd really look hard a 562xp instead.

Is take a heavily used husky 562 over a brand new stihl 362. I simply thought it was mediocre and kind of a low spot for the traditionally great stihl 36 series.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll go look at the Husky tomorrow. I couldn't find any recent reviews between the saws that were less than 2-3 years old.

362 is more expensive here. Mike Martella bought one new and he likes it. I got to see it in action and was not disappointed in it. I don't know if he has the c version or not. I will ask him. He was willing to trade me that saw for my Datsun, and I would have, but I was really not comfortable selling him the truck being that much of a project when he really needs a daily driver. I would have otherwise though. Just my .02.

Just bought a ms261cm from the pawn shop.
Poked some holes in the muffler.
Best $150 I spent in a while.

I bought my ms362r in Sept 2010. It's been a great saw. No problems, very smooth running, pretty good on fuel too compared to bigger saws.

Good point about the wide bottom Stihls over the Huskies is they don't fall over on their sides when you set them down.:D

I got the 562xp today, and will give it a go on this tree tomorrow. Rock wall is a bit of a concern.

IMG_4012.jpg

IMG_4011.jpg

IMG_4013.jpg

The new saw was horrible. Cutting was ok, once it started, but starting it wasted about two hours of my day. I called the dealer who said it might be flooded, and wait five-10 min. 30 min later it still wouldn't start. The only way I could even get it going was to have the chain brake off, my toe holding full throttle, and then 12-15 pulls. I was afraid to turn it off. Anxious to take it in and see what's wrong.

Holmen, good point about the bottom of the saw, compared to Stihl. Every time I tried to set the saw down, the bar tip went into the dirt. So I was always looking for a stick to set it on, but then the whole saw would want to tip over. Does Stihl do that, too? Husky needs to fix that.

IMG_4022.jpg

IMG_4023.jpg

The few Huskys I've owned never did start good...any of them. Had them to 3 different dealers...sold them cheap or gave them away.

some of the bigger ones of others I've used worked good though.

Bt Stewart - did you program the auto-tune in as per instructions? They should start fine - did you prime it with the bulb or just as per normal?

My buddy told me to take his 555 and give it some exercise. I had trouble finding the fast idle hot start position. It is autotune and pretty much same as a 562. Not real fond of the switch/choke set up. It rips.

I had trouble finding the fast idle hot start position. Not real fond of the switch/choke set up. It rips.

A pet peeve of mine as well. Something I came to loath on the more recent Husky's. And then you get to watch as the ground guy is taking life off the starter set up repeat-ably power starting the saw... then flooding it... and and ..... Choke start position wears out and it just gets more fun.

Bt Stewart - did you program the auto-tune in as per instructions? They should start fine - did you prime it with the bulb or just as per normal?

Pete, I read the manual the night before and didn't see anything about programming any auto tune. Altho that sounds like what it could be related to. The dealer was very nice and spent a lot of time with me going over the details of various saws. I don't remember him talking about programming any auto tune. I tried starting it with the purge and without, no difference.

FYI: on pg 29 in the 562xp Owners manual from Husqvarna.com

Engine adjustment
The following steps should be taken when the chain saw
is started for the first time or when outside circumstances
change (fuel, altitude, air filter etc.): Start the engine.
Accelerate the engine to full throttle and saw a number of
cuts in a thick log (3-5 min.).
The chain saw must be run (8,000 - 12,000 rpm) the entire
time so that the carburettor can adjust itself

Back