I'd like some sports opinions please.

sawinredneck

Treehouser
I know most, if any of you, don't follow NASCAR here, and that's perfect for me as I'm looking for an outside perspective. I'm having some issues with the way they have handled some things recently.
Bear in mind, I am NOT a fan of either driver mentioned here, but I don't like seeing people hung out to dry, regardless of my opinion of them.
Last year Tony Stewart was involved in a terrible accident at a dirt course. http://deadspin.com/reports-tony-stewart-ran-over-opposing-driver-during-1618893708
This was drug out for quit some time, but he was not charged with anything and cleared of any wrong doing. http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2014/9/24/6839441/tony-stewart-grand-jury-findings-kevin-ward
He chose to pull himself out of the car to deal with things, but NASCAR never even threatened to suspend him.

Fast forward to November, Kurt Busch gets accused of assault on his ex-girlfriend, http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cu...-busch-investigation-alleged-domestic-assault
NOTHING happens, all is fine and dandy, UNTIL the Friday before the Daytona 500 (arguably the greatest race of the year) http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/...g-ex-girlfriend-patricia-driscoll-allegations
A judge found enough evidence to grant a PSA (restraining order) to his ex, but no charges have been filed, and he's not been found guilty of anything.
Now, I get the NFL dropped the ball and no sport wants to get caught with their pants down again, but isn't this jumping the gun? Someone kills someone, it's OK, but get accused of DV and we are gonna ban your ass for as long as we can?
Am I missing something here?

You may be missing that the 2 incidents have nothing to do with each other and are completely unrelated.

Stewart was involved in a non-NASCAR sanctioned accident on a track while racing.As you say, he was cleared of all charges (by both track officials and law enforcement). Do you feel he should have been threatened with penalties ahead of time before decisions were made? It ws about 7 weeks after the accident before Stewart was cleared of wrongdoing and he knew he was out of the woods, so to speak penalty and criminal wise.

A judge having found enough evidence for a restraining order seems enough to trigger penalties of a "zero tolerance" policy. The fact that charges haven't been filed yet could have to do with a great number of things. The timing was unfortunate but it was the day of the judges decision. Seems to me the officials had knowledge of the allegations and once the judge made a decision they took prompt and decisive action.

It might be worth noting that both drivers drive for the same team...

DV is a big one though.

An acquaintance in the Boarder Patrol was accused by his wife of DV. Turns out it was false, and she recanted. She was trying for a divorce so she could get some money.

He lost everything, including what retirement and benefits he had, and can never work in law enforcement again, or have a firearm. Dont hit your spouse! Marry the right person!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's messed up!

I know they are on the same team, and I understand they are different instances, but my point is which is worse? One man, seen on video, kills someone, accident or not, another is accused of DV, with no real proof. The one accused is suspended but not the other? Seems to me like a lot of bias because of DV.
I dunno, just seems to me like the pendulum has swung way too far the other way on this subject.

No doubt injuring another intentionally is worse than being involved in an accident caused by someone else running into your vehicle.

I'm not seeing the bias here. Busch will be suspended until cleared, he wasn't suspended when accused; only when evidence was convincing for a court order. Stuart could have been penalized IF found at fault also...but he was cleared.

One New year eve, before I was born, my father had a drunk walk into the side of the car he was driving and the man died...Should he have been thrown in prison? He wasn't...and didn't get so much as a ticket because neither fault nor intent was his.

Over here when evaluating traffic accidents by the cops, it is a much rarer case when complete responsibility is assigned to one party. if you were waiting at a red light and someone plowed into you from behind, that would be the one vehicle 100% at fault. With a great deal of accidents, they break down the situation into percentages of responsibility, look at speeds that they can determine, positions in relation to the lines on the road, what tire marks tell you, all manner of little details, even maybe what people had for lunch for all I know The insurance companies will pay accordingly. Who is at fault to what degree can get broken down pretty finely if you want to look at it that way and assess all the variables. Something that someone does inadvertently, even if it isn't violating a law, can be a factor in an accident. A degree of responsibility can come simply from bad luck. If you wanted to look at it that way, i wonder what the assessment of the Tony Stewart related fatality would be?

In that instance, with Tony, there was none! The other driver was high, failed a post mortum UA, racing is a zero tolerance sport. Another video came forward and showed the other driver actually ran at Tony's car and tried to grab onto the back wing! He couldn't hold on and rolled under the tire causing his own demise.
But during all of this, the court of public opinion had him labeled as a killer and was ready to hang him then and there!
As for Kurt, he still hasn't been charged with anything! They are still "investigating" her story, but NASCAR judged the suspension on the fact that he was given a PSA, which really isn't that hard of a thing to get, either way!

yep, too bad for his suspension, but I think they are playing better safe than sorry on this one. They have made some really goofy changes the last few years that have resulted in smaller fan base; maybe they think they need the drama...?

Busch will just have to sit on his millions 'til things get worked out one way or the other. He can still appeal the decision but hasn't yet that I've heard.

He's been through both appeals, did all of that last Saturday, he was denied both times.

Bad timing for Kurt as well. Other sports where there have been domestic violence episodes, the press has been very critical of how the people running the sport have handled the situation. Particularly that NFL player that decked his wife or finance in the elevator. Probably the sport execs want to take a path of least resistance, mainly considering fairness may not be in their own best interest, or that of the sport either.

And that's what I mean by the pendulum has swung too far the other way. That Ray Rice deal was stupid! His wife/girlfriend is STUPID! The NFL was stupid in the way they handled it!
IF I ever did something like that to my wife/girlfriend whatever, I'd expect EVERY one of my friends to be in line to kick my dumb ass!

Another thing I was hoping would come up in this, is the other party involved, Patricia Driscoll, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patricia_Driscoll_(business_executive)
She's quite the character herself, I've not been able to find a copy of it, but there has been and email she sent to Kurt that was released about how she was going to ruin his career.
to give an idea, last year she contacted Stewart Haas racing, Tony's team, before Kurt had moved over, and sent some "interesting" emails to them in an effort to, I guess, "help" or offering her services? It's an interesting read, http://beyondtheflag.com/2015/02/11/driscoll-offered-help-manipulate-media-tony-stewart/

Interesting, dangerous sounding lady, with money. This could go on for years...

Glad she's his problem & not mine

And the thicken plots! Sounds almost like some cash exchanged, doesn't it?

hmm... I hadn''t thought of that.

I was just guessing they didn't want to publicize making him see a psych, or possibly go to rehab or women beaters club.

think he's already gone through anger management?

I believe he had to do that a few years ago, I can't remember all the details, but I believe he went off on a reporter and his sponsor threatened to pull the plug if he didn't seek some help.
This is by no means his first bout of trouble!

It seems that to be able to effectively drive a highly souped up motor vehicle at such reckless and dangerous speeds, a person would have to be pissed off at something. Dana Patrick might need some years of rehabilitation to become a desirable home maker for a husband and children.

Yeah, I saw that, but they still aren't ready, or willing to put him in a car yet?

Back