Thanks - Old Irish (Pat)

No wasn't planning on selling it, just gonna hang onto to it for any 30 years:lol:

I had plans to run it on my bikesaw but since Stihl introduced a timbersport .404 "high tooth" chisel bit chain it's no longer practical.
I've used up a bit of it on my 395 with the Alaskan mill and did a really nice job. Tough chain with no stretch problem and holds a nice strong edge.
Looks like rust on it but it's actually red cedar sawdust from some work I did years back in the workshop.

.050 .404 Wow I never knew there was such a critter! Hows it run in the cut?

Real nice, thicker bar rails with a .050 gauge too. The few loops I used up on my big work saws still have lots of meat in the cutters to go for another long time. I just switch to the round file when their about half used up.
I have no idea why Oregon made that chain in full comp sequence. ...probably for the east coast guys. Or smaller timber in the PNW.

Holmen I have both the .050 Gauge and .063 gauge chain. The reason that I have .050 gauge chain is that we used to run the smaller gauge chain in or on the .063 gauge bar. Especially when using the 6 foot bar. A new fifty gauge chain on a sixty three gauge bar would run free and not suck down the power. That seems to defy conventional wisdom, but we weren't known for wisdom or for being conventional.

That makes sense Pat with a long cut like that buried in a big sappy softwood I can see the binding problem. Bars and chains get over loaded with too much chip fiber jammed into the bar rails can loose alot of power then seize up .
I have a reconditioned 60" bar for my 090 that Sam Madsen gave me as a gift back in the early '80s.
As I was talking to him and his dad Ralph at the counter with the big General bar in my hands a older timber faller walked in and said to me "where are you cutting the big wood?"
:lol:

Back