Man I swear the gym is best for a climber and ground men.

MatthewMMeckley

TreeHouser
I know you guys might laugh at this but it really does help. Pullups,squats,deadlifts and shoulder workout will help drastically with conditioning and staying healthy for work.

Yes weight training and proper diet keeps a tree man from wearing down and stay strong for the long haul for better production.
Found that out BITD when logging as a hand faller .I always had a rack bench and weights in my bunk house room.
And boy did we eat and sleep good in those bush camps.:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I first started doing tree work I weighed 140. Couldnt pick up a log. Now it isn't shit and I ask for more. I try to stay strong for work so I dont get tired. Wa the food really that good at the brush camp?

Wouldn't laugh at all Matthew, it helps you do things you otherwise couldn't, not to mention adding to your longevity. I go to the gym at our church early in the morning five days a week and lift and run. Like most things in life, consistency is the key.

Boy could I tell you stories about the fresh fruit and veggies done by a head chef in our camp along with the beautiful 1" thick T bones with shrimp.
Fresh baked home made bread basted with butter. Made from scratch cherry and lemon marang pie................

Ha well most of my homies call me a d bag and gym rat haha. Yea i go everyday for 3 hours no matter what. Quite ocd at times about it but work is good when doing it.

I usually do tree work all year but this winter is turning out to be my off season. Got laid off so ive just been studying learning rock climbing and the gym.

3 hour workouts get old quick! If your lifting weights for that long ur either talkin too much or overtraining. there would have to be a pool or jacuzzi to keep me there that long or a rock wall I guess. I've never done that before so I could see that keeping me occupied for a while

Ha... My wife and I were just laughing our asses off at ourselves. She's out building a goat pen while I was out transferring firewood from one spot to another after work. She started complaining that everything hurts now, and she's six years younger than I. Man, eighteen years ago we wouldn't have said that. Life just flies.........

Yea, three hours is too much. You are overtraining and will see little gains. Muscles need to rest and recover! I can do my weight training in under 15 minutes, cardio in about 60.

hahaha amen to that Sawman. Yea i've done a bunch of research and i've found my body reacts best to high volume and high intensity workouts. I was 140 before I started working out and last winter I got to 180. Now im down to a good 170 and stronger than ever.

Back