logs like rubber

Cut across the grain : chips
Cut down the grain : dust
Cut along the grain : noodles

At least with a stock standard 30* chain...

The Bay Laural is an extremely tough splitter. Even well above the stump in a straight stem. A maul will bounce off a 6 inch round. Once cracked open the fibers look like expanded metal holding the round together.

Jer, and wonderful wood for woodworking as well. Lots of variation in color, from a golden to a rich brown. A tree native to California. About the hardness of Walnut and quite stable. I used it a lot once. Nice aroma to it I bought a mess of it once from an old timer in Northern California, named Riko Calvi. Possibly a logger at some point himself, if you have ever heard of him. The only problem with Bay is that the bugs love it when you have it drying. I've never split much of it, the grain does tend to knit together, probably causing what you are referring to. I wish I had some logs.

Evidently the west coast oaks are different than out midwestern types .The type we have ,mainly red and white oaks are easy to split .A pin oak however is another story ,tough son of a gun at times .

Ripping is faster running with the grain but it will fill the clutch/chain guard with stringy chips,noodles .About the best for that in my opinion is running at about a 45 degree angle to the round .About the fastest for that is just good old round filed chisel chain .Of course you'll need to file/sharped more often ,not a big deal .

Back