Is the tree motion saddle really that good?

MatthewMMeckley

TreeHouser
I have had my first saddle since I started climbing in 2012. Everything I see is thst the tree motion saddle is where its at. I feel like iI would make the adjustments and it wouldnt feel good. What is your input on this?

I know what you're saying about reading nothing but rave reviews with regard to the TreeMotion saddle. I probably started climbing around the same time that you did, maybe a little later. I figured, why spend half as much money on something I might end up hating, just to have to spend money on the saddle I should have bought in the first place. So I bought the TreeMotion as my first, and so far, only saddle.

Which leads me to say I probably won't be of much help to you here, because I have nothing to compare it to. Like you say, people rave about the "adjustability" of the TreeMotion. I honestly think I don't know much about how to properly adjust the harness, but over time I've found a setup that works halfway well. The big issue I was having in the early going was with the leg straps causing me pain when sitting too long in the saddle, because of pressure on what I think might be the femoral arteries.

I like to start with the question of "What is causing me pain or discomfort?". Then think about what can be done to reduce or eliminate that discomfort. With regard to the leg straps, I thought "Kids sitting on a park swing can sit there all day in comfort." It's because the strap of the seat is under their butt, not under the back of their legs. The kids are resting on their gluteus maximus.

So I started thinking of the straps on my harness not as leg straps, but as butt straps. I shortened up the distance as much as possible between the leg straps and the back of the harness, so that the straps actually form a better approximation of a seat. That helped a lot.

In summation, I think the people on this forum you really want to hear from are those that used other saddles for a long time, before moving to the TreeMotion. They'll be the ones that have a proper frame of reference, and who can tell you how the TreeMotion is different or better than others they've tried. I cannot appreciate the greatness that is the TreeMotion saddle as well as someone else who may have used some really bad saddles, and then had the good fortune to be able to use the TreeMotion.

Tim

Last edited:
I don't know if a poll of the membership has ever been done with regard to "Which climbing harness do you currently use?", but that information would be nice to know. Which saddle dominates on the TreeHouse, if any? I'm still pretty new to the TreeHouse forum, so starting such a poll would be a little bit of a research project for me. I'm not sure if the poll would allow you to identify all the specific members that use the saddle or if it would just be in the form of general, overall numbers. If people did specifically identify themselves as users of the TreeMotion, it would give you a list of possible useful sources of information.

Tim

The only bad thing I've heard about the TM was that it was a tad on the flimsy side. At such a high price, one would think it would be built a bit more durable.

When I got mine I was actually impressed how thick and durable it seems. I do wish they'd make some thicker leg pads. Treestuff had overstocked legs pads so I ordered some and sewed two together. I can't say it made it much more comfortable but my nuts don't seem to find their way in there an get punched anymore

I love the tree motion harness. I am on my second one and had two different harnesses before that. Once the tree motion is dialled in it is so comfy. I don't really bother with adding gear loop just a couple of carry tools for saw and slings.

One thing I found when it was pinching the crown jewels was to adjust the CoG by shortening the bridge and adjusting the distance from you of the lower side d's. This made me sit a bit further back in the harness and probable sharing the load better between the back pad and the leg loops. Also get the sofa attachment... I mean the fatter back pad. Makes the harness even comfier.

I only have a few hours on my TM.I could not be more happier.. This thing is worth every penny imi.
Granted my last and first saddle was a weaver 3d buttstap style.Big step forward for me.:thumbup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I value all of your input. I thibk im sold on the saddle. I started outwith and still use is the weaver double split with leg loops and big back pad. Clunky ol bastard it is. Xtra small too. Ive inly been climbing for about two years now.

I have had a TM for probably 3-4 years. Started with the standard TM with comfort back pad. I switched this year to the S.Light model. Love it, fits my skinny frame really well. Long term durability would be the only issue, but almost every part is replaceable.

One thing I found when it was pinching the crown jewels was to adjust the CoG by shortening the bridge and adjusting the distance from you of the lower side d's. This made me sit a bit further back in the harness and probable sharing the load better between the back pad and the leg loops. Also get the sofa attachment... I mean the fatter back pad. Makes the harness even comfier.

Thanks for these comments, Rich. I'll need to take a closer look at the adjustments that are available with this harness.

One other thing I did, just because I frequently like to climb with two ropes, plus I was looking to have a way to "pull from center" a bit more, was that I added short webbing straps running between the upper and lower "D's" on the left and right sides, clipped a biner through each one, then added another webbing strap between those two biners to form another bridge. This is pulling me from a slightly different point than the original rope bridge, (I think). I've never climbed yet using just this new webbing bridge, but now that I'm talking about it I think I'll have to, just to see what I think of it, in isolation.

Tim

I agree with everyone here that the TreeMOTION is the top saddle out there. So is the Ergovation, and I know pro level climbers who love their Sequoias. My point is one may fit you better than the other, so it would be worth your time to try one or all on if at all possible before you buy.

I would loce to but I dont have any retailers close to me that carry any of those saddles. Kinda of a bummer so i just have to make a cautious decision and pull the trigger. Unless Gerry Beranek could make me a home made one haha jk. Ill most likely get it from tree stuff.
I agree with everyone here that the TreeMOTION is the top saddle out there. So is the Ergovation, and I know pro level climbers who love their Sequoias. My point is one may fit you better than the other, so it would be worth your time to try one or all on if at all possible before you buy.

I know the feeling, I'm in Montana. My opinion is the TreeMOTION is a great all around saddle, and the Ergovation is a better removal saddle that carries weight and big saws better. It comes at a cost, being bulkier in tight canopy trees. Petzl saddles don't fit me well.

Matt, you could always buy 2 or 3 different saddles, try them out, then return the other two. All you'd be out would be the return postage.

Just don't damage them in any way.

I actually do alot of removals and have never looked in to the ergo saddle. Im going to look into that one too.
I know the feeling, I'm in Montana. My opinion is the TreeMOTION is a great all around saddle, and the Ergovation is a better removal saddle that carries weight and big saws better. It comes at a cost, being bulkier in tight canopy trees. Petzl saddles don't fit me well.

Back