Boulder CO crane work

• Thread starter Levi
  • Start date
  • Replies 199
  • Views 21K
Sounds identical to Santa Fe, NM. Lived there for more years than I wanted to.

Hey though man, really good job on those Rio Grande Cottonwoods. Those pigs can suck. Tons of deadwood right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah the cotton woods are notorious for having large dead wood especially the hybrids, they seem to live for about forty years or so then fall victim to the psytospera canker and die rather quickly stem by stem. A lot of folks don't have the foresight to remove them "preemptively" rather they remove the dead stems one at a time so we have some pretty odd looking cotton wood trees around here!

My brother did the trees and video. It looks like a sib elm and a black locust to me.

O.k. man, I'm losing touch a little bit way up north here. Remember heaps and tons of Siberian Elms, AND Black Locs, but didn't recognize em' as either. :|:

I would be in heaven if I forget what a Siberian Elm looked like!

It wasn't hush hush. I was mentioning I had family that worked(started the company) there and that was my link to living out there for a few months.

Here's another one from my brother.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCHfR8REFtc

Here's his description:
"I really dislike this type of work but this video turned out great. I saved the video without removing the text at the bottom so that's permanent, other than that I'm really stoked on this one.

The removal and cleanup took about two hours. It was a stone dead black walnut, brittle, dusty and hard as a rock. Much more fun to watch than do.

Turn on the HD."

Yeah I thought that as well, good tune for a time lapse.

I dug that vid. Way too few bucket vids out there imo. Yup, I said it. Time lapse was a great approach, not only for the tree work but watching the changes in the snow/ice on top of the wall, a sudden change at 2.15. Way to go Leviiiii

Glad you liked it, once again it is another video of my brothers, I just posted them because he is not on this forum... yet. I like bucket vids and time lapse as well. I've got a go-pro coming in the mail though!!!

Here are a few that I made in the last couple weeks. I should change the thread name cuz there's no crane in these!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ELyakAxhbhs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EVVUi_pus_Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The first, Cwood vid was very nice. I dig the snowcapped mountains in the background, that always blows my mind. Nice, quality cuts and pruning you were doing.

So let me ask you some SRT questions- you worked a lot of tips there, did you access them by placing a redirect in a leader more or less above them so you had good angles to access them? And if so, how did you change the redirect spot to a different spot, just climb back up to the redi spot and then move to a different redi spot or did you trail the rope to a different spot without removing it from the first spot. Did you climb the rope with like a single Pantin or with a rope grab on each foot like a rope walker system?

Thanks.

2nd vid won't play, 3rd one is a nice showcase for the 150. Cool vid.

Thanks Cory! basically all of those techniques at different times. Because of the size of that tree I had to clear a lot of the redirects in order to not run out of rope. The most simple way to do that is to leave your tail draped in the direction you will want to be when you clear the redi. Remove climbing system, pull on tail, bang you're clear of the redi. I worked that tree with a pantin only.

Beer thirty! :beer:
Here's how to embed videos;

1) Do NOT copy/paste the page url.
2) Click the "share" button - a embed button will appear underneath/to the left.
3) Scroll down and click the "embed" button - a blue highlighted address will appear.
4) Copy/paste THAT address in your post.

But if you're posting from a phone - all bets are out the window.

Back