Boulder CO crane work

• Thread starter Levi
  • Start date
  • Replies 199
  • Views 21K
Because of the size of that tree I had to clear a lot of the redirects in order to not run out of rope. The most simple way to do that is to leave your tail draped in the direction you will want to be when you clear the redi. Remove climbing system, pull on tail, bang you're clear of the redi.

Thanks for the detailed response. This srt noob has a question re the quote above- I'm picturing the base-tied climb line leading up to the "main" crotch, then over to a redi, then put a bight of rope thru the redi and down to area to be worked, when done working it, remove hardware and pull the tail which pulls the bight thru the redo, then you can climb the tree or the rope up to the new redi- do I have that right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Cursed, Sean and MB...I'll figure out this embedding sho nuff!

Cory- exactly right, if you watch in the first vid @6:45 you can see me dropping through a redirect, then @7:05 you can see me clearing that one to move on to a different spot. Some guys take a little throw line and ball in the tree with them in order to set redirects from a distance, that is beyond me, seems like a pain in the arse! I like to keep it simple although if you do not have enough line for clearing with your tail which will happen, you can attach a little biner or pulley with a long piece of para chord or the like to your line in between your main TIP and redirect and use that for clearing.

Here's a vid of a quick job that I did this morning.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HSu-3xe-ZBA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice vid. At 2.35, why do you think the climbing is less interesting than the cutting?

Thanks all. Cory I don't think it is less interesting, I just started making work videos and I am working on keeping them short so speeding up the climbing helps with that, I'm just figuring this out though so I will definitely have some real time climbing in there more often, maybe shoot for a 50/50 mix. I also really like the other parts of the job in vids like driving, throwball, drinking beer, etc etc.;)

Agreed.

Reg tends to do the same thing, imo, features cutting primarily. To me, cutting climbing and rigging are the 3 components, lets's see em all.

Thanks Scott! More to come soon hopefully.
Cory, now that I am thinking about it I think that I subconsciously modeled my editing after Reg's videos being as they are most of what I have watched.

Well needless to say, Reg's vids are in a class unto themselves, so you can't go wrong emulating that. Still, I would like to see more climbing, personally.

Long drive, short work.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y---XPB7FQI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s377f-rsrCk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HaHa! Well thanks for watching part:no: stubs I know;) That was some ugly tree work no doubt but hey, sometimes you gotta get down and dirty, I had a great time!

Cool tunes, cool vid. Seemed like we were seeing a bit more of you climbing. With the removals, were you cutting for the chipper a lot as opposed to making the biggest possible safe cut? Was the second (?) tree a Catalpa?

Is that a Vt with your Ddrt set up? Thanks!!

Thanks Sawman.

MB- good point, are you talking about the little saw? It had a decent edge when I started but that Ash wood seems to dull the chain very quickly! I know, excuses excuses.

Cory, The second tree in the Denver 2 vid is a Catalpa. The second one in the Berthoud vid was a Honey Locust. Yes I was cutting that way for the chipper. From my experiences I have found it to be quicker to climb and piece trees out as opposed to felling in certain situations if you are going to process the whole tree anyway. And yes that is a VT in the Ddrt.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IlQPbSyLKYE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back