Integrated Soft Shackle

Tommy D banned me because he caught wind (Ekkka) of the fact that I wasn't real excited about him paying me a visit.

Good reason for a permaban, eh!

Here is another variation on the soft shackle hitch cord. Basically the same core and cover, but put together differently. The core of the previous one was buried inside itself, while in this one the cores are side by side. This one needed an 8mm cover and the other a 6mm. This one looks like it is made of tubular webbing.
IMG_1394.jpg

The last picture was taken sideways so that it would appear in the right orientation.

Brocky, the pictures are great but would it be possible to make a short video of the hitch in action? No problem if you can't. I find this interesting but I'm having trouble visualizing it in action.

The last picture just shows a regular VT, girth hitched, and the connecting loop and knot in the back. It ended up too short to make the other hitch, and was just showing the different type of construction of the cord.

The other hitch, the Overhand Oval VT, is a self contained hitch that works in SRT mode. First there is four wraps and cross in the front for the braid. You can put the carabiner under the braid or wait until later, or if using a ring it must be npow. Second bring the eyes to the back and rotate the wraps 180 degrees to tie the overhand. Make sure the eyes are the same length. Third, form a loop and put the eyes through it. At this point the eyes have to be long and flexible enough to pass through the loop. Keeping the knot neat, with the eyes not crossing will make it easier to untie. The eyes should rotate 180 degrees after passing through the loop while dressing and tightening. Fourth, turn the hitch around again and put the oval carabiner in the front braid, and bring the eyes to the front through the carabiner. IMG_1401.jpg

OK, thanks for that. It made what you are saying clear, good job. So, you have been successfully climbing SRT with this setup?

Yes, just no long,fast descents. There seems to be a sweet spot for the location of the overhand, up higher causes more friction, but it always grabs. Down lower it tends easier but not as reliable at grabbing after advancing. Stiffer cords with a tightly braided cover works best.

Wow, they sure over complicated that. A toggle, or dogbone, as they seemed to be called now, on a prusik, that connects to a loop spliced on the end of the winch line, would be quicker and simpler.

Might be a good time to contact your lawyer!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, that wasn't available two years ago. I wonder why treestuff made the soft shackle after the chook came out

Some folks might just look a little askance at the Chook..."a plastic hook?". Heck...I might too. Offer an alternative for them.

I found a good use for an intergrated soft shackle on the end of a lanyard. The saw lanyard on the left is an old one retrofitted with a shackle made from accessory cord, rather than the standard of dyneema. IMG_1571.jpg

Back