Fishing 2015

Ray, is that type mackerel a decent eating fish? The mackerel I'm familiar with is very oily. Very fresh it can be good though. Smoking also provides good results.

Pretty much the same with the kings Jay. Excellent smoked, grilled, broiled but you're absolutely right, freshness is the key. Being oily, they don't freeze well at all. The cobia, on the other hand is good any way you cook it and freezes well.

Ray, Mackerel does pretty well in vinegar content recipes, sometimes left to cure in it. It balances out the oiliness. Often how it is eaten here. When I was young and catching a lot of them on the west coast, they were fun to fish for good fighters, but we considered them a throw away fish. There often would be Asian people waiting at the dock that would gladly take the catch. They had a much better idea what to do with them. I see recipes on the web for that fish using vinegar.

Looking good, Ray!:thumbup:

Meanwhile....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UlOtjxufybM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

View attachment 61437
View attachment 61438
My partner and I made a little trip offshore this morning. We took his pastor, who caught his first king mackerel. We had to work for them, but ended up with a decent mess of grouper, snapper, the king and a cobia. We had some giant Jewfish (goliath grouper) eat several big snapper we were fighting.
I dream about doing some fishing like that. Looks like just a beautiful time.

It's amazing that there are any fish left in the ocean. I mean not because of Ray, but those big nets that they throw out. I like to think what it must have been like to go fishing before the days of the commercial enterprise starting. I saw an old photo of some west coast Indian tribe, in California i think it was. Not sure how they caught them, but they had big Halibut laying all over the beach.

Very fresh mackerel are superb, just grilled until the skin starts to crisp and served with a little lemon.

Or ginger and chilli.

It might be Ray. .
Hahaha! I wish. Headed back offshore tomorrow, We'll see how it goes. It's hard to beat the offshore fishing when it's on Kevin. I like to chum the snapper and get 'em up near the surface and catch 'em on light tackle. About as fun as it gets in my book. Some friends from Illinois are here and I'll be their guide for most of the week. They like catching big sharks too so maybe I'll get some good pics.

Picked up a couple spring Chinook
39421d169e1bd3478691f91b13a68acb.jpg
56bafbb086f099cb25fad9902259dfe9.jpg
d38767ddf4e3b14e0f0d5084adacdf89.jpg

Yes indeed! A few snapper and other assorted from yesterday. We did real good today but my fishing partner obviously couldn't work the camera. No pics! It's been pretty rough weather the last two days but the fishing is good if you can stand it.
P6080046.jpg P6090051.jpg

Wow these pics are making me hungry!!! Good going guys.

It was one fellow's first time offshore today and he said it would be his last. He was sick from the time we stopped to fish the first spot until we hit the dock. I felt sorry for him, thought he would dehydrate, he had stuff coming from every orifice. His "buddy" didn't cut him any slack but he got a little green a time or two as well but never did any chumming. It's weird how some people get seasick and some don't. This guy started the dramamine yesterday but it didn't help.

Back