Fishing 2015

I went ice fishing for first time ever last weekend, hand augur went thru ice ez pz. Even she could do it.

Jim, good walleye fishing in Diefenbaker Lake but for the nice lake trout you have to go up north a few hundred more miles into timber country.
We got a fishing derby up here called the Bill Bannock Classic . Over a thousand holes dtilled in 4 -5 ft of ice for fishermen who enter.
Lots of prizes.

Ray, nada. My buddy said it was the first time he ever caught nothing:/: Had fun being outside, talking hockey and lacrosse.

We ran a couple of miles offshore this morning and caught a few rock bass (black sea bass) which are one of my favorites to eat. They were pretty hungry. We caught doubles several times with one on the hook and another hanging on to the sinker. We also had three or four that bit baits from two different lines at the same time. It was a beautiful day on the Gulf of Mexico.
IMG_1484.jpg IMG_1486.jpg IMG_1489.jpg

Fish on Ray!! :thumbup:

Spring turkey opens end of this month.... then last Sat. in April, rivers open for trout :)

Hey Scott, I'm looking forward to turkey season too. The lease I'm in has really good numbers, it should be fun. Pete it was crowded out here on the Gulf today too. I saw one other boat.

That's a decent haul Ray . Would be over limit here in Manitoba though unless you had a boat load of people.

My first wife and I fished 20 miles out in the Gulf off Clearwater Beach in Dec 1979 . We caught all kinds of colorful fish, one fish I caught the boat captain yelled "don't touch its fins their poisonous! "

Willard, the limit on rock bass is 100 lbs per angler per day and I don't want to clean that many, but if I let her, my wife would sink the boat with 'em. She loves catching them and eating them. That poisonous fish sounds like a lion fish but they are pretty recent invaders and I don't believe there were any in the Gulf in the '70s. I don't know what it could've been, if you were closer inshore, hardhead catfish would fit the bill.

It's funny you caught that Jay, my daughter lives in Panama City and called to tell me about it yesterday! I live about 60 miles east of there. Most of the sharks in the northern Gulf migrate south for the winter, the whites are obviously cold water tolerant since they inhabit the New England coasts. They were never thought to enter the Gulf of Mexico until researchers and fishermen proved otherwise a few years ago.

Last couple steelhead trips. Time to switch over to salmon!
a106648cbb3736473c09155cec7d03fd.jpg
0cdf4efd9670a8c4807c768446a8b362.jpg
973e8cd75586958833c03d521430f15c.jpg
86776a0b083e5147f62190b18bd06d0c.jpg

P6010004.jpg
P6010017.jpg
My partner and I made a little trip offshore this morning. We took his pastor, who caught his first king mackerel. We had to work for them, but ended up with a decent mess of grouper, snapper, the king and a cobia. We had some giant Jewfish (goliath grouper) eat several big snapper we were fighting.

Back