First Aid Kits

BIGTWIG

Treeman
I'm looking to put a more comprehensive first aid kit in the chip truck. I've been looking on amazon at some kits around $100. I don't mind spending more or less, just wondering if anyone had a good kit they can recommend. Or am I better off putting a kit together from the store? Thanks in advance.

I have seen some EMT First Responder kits that were very complete just short of paddles. I don't think you really need to buy a kit but making one is better. I have a basic kit with a few Blood Stoppers.

A first aid class is a great addition to a first aid kit.

You are going to want a lot of dressings and bandages. Triangle bandages are faster than roller bandages. Antiseptic material is a must as well.

I like the store bought kits, then I add stuff to them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the input, guys. Sounds like it would be better to start with a small kit then add bandages, antiseptic, etc. Is there a specific blood stop anyone can recommend?

....buy and assemble custom kit will save a few bucks...I always stocked up courtesy of Ski Patrol and have basics plus some breathing stuff. I generally have a pack in the truck.

Thank you Rajan, Alt, and Wiley! I will put those in the kit. Altissimus... Could you elaborate more on breathing stuff?

#4 ambulance dressing, abdominal pads...never had to use them but they are there.
The most used item is 'Elastoplast' fabric bandaids...they stick when you sweat.

I got a fairly good store bought kit, has compartments for small, medium and large wounds, then I custom make my one for on my harness.

Breathing stuff I think maybe they mean a face shield in case you have to attempt CPR with rescue breathing...it's not nice to go skin to skin with someone not related to you!

celox blood clotting powder and impregnated compression bandages Amazon/ebay
sterile saline solution for cleaning out eyes full of saw dust and cleaning out wounds , my tip buy lots good to have alot of this.
medical wholesalers/suppliers are good for purchasing bulk for elastoplast bandaids etc. you will use them either for yourself or family and they tend not to go off if well kept.

A pocket mask is a good investment like others have said. Much better than a regular barrier, that looks like a piece of saran wrap.

I feel like we are getting into some interventions that should have some training behind them. Basic first aid and professional CPR would be a great place to start. Airway managment can be accomplished with a simple head lift chin tilt, unless it is a trauma victim, then a jaw thrust should be performed.

Thanks for clarifying Alt. Sounds like that's a little beyond my first aid knowledge. I will probably look into a good first aid class when the season is rolling. Also, thank you Berny and Stihlmadd! Agree- no such thing as too much saline.

and while the mind is still functional - sterile suture strips also called butterfly strips, great to save a unneeded visit to the Em dept for something that doesn't need stitches but still needs to be held closed till it can seal up. good amount of them.
antihistamine tablets for allergic reactions (mild) any serious reaction straight to the Em don't mess around even if you do have a nice clean mask onboard failed respiretory aint a laughing matter when it is a allergy caused blockage.
Burngel or some thing similar to treat first and second degree burns like exhaust muffler fingers ( ooh that tickles) or rope burn.any serious burns again straight to the EM.

Butterfly strips, good one, I need to restock those. Went through them with a mishap with a chipper knife vs. my palm.. I lost and it could have been worse.

never sell short gaffer tape in a emergency, haven't tried the super glue!
I have a emergency kit with it's own Krab ready to send up and make sure everybody knows where to access it in my vehicle.

Some of the prepackaged first aid kits that I have seen are packed with items that I don't know how to use..... Not real useful in an emergency. We have a fairly large kit but it's definitely aimed at what we think may go wrong and we know how to use every item in it. We keep ours in a tool box that has little trays that pull out and keep everything organized. I like to keep the commonly used items handy..... Like bandaids and eye wash.

Just had this revelation that we have a pretty good one in our chipper truck, but NO first aid kit on the pickup!

I bought https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRGCDU...m/dp/B00IRGCDUE/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Vcn5ub03JEAF7this one on Amazon. It should arrive tomorrow. It has the basics, but in a nice case. I'll give it a once-over and probably add some gauze, butterfly strips, and blood stopper to make it more arb-ready.

The guys do go through band aids more. The other first aid kit has an external zipper pocket for bandaids, Neosporin, and gauze- the most common basics.

We should all lay out what's in our kits to swap pics!

I'll try to remember to do that this evening

love
nick

Back