alternatives in land use

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
.... regardless of trump or Hillary, or politics. china or here, detroit or montana rebuilding soil is our only hope

Kevin, are you going to EXPO? Sylvia is presenting there on developing soils in residential settings. Her first (longer talk) is during the pre-con with Mike Raupp on PHC. The second talk is on Friday afternoon at 4:30. If you can't make the lectures, look her up. She will talk about soils and their workings for as long as you are willing to listen.

What is expo?

It's really not that simple Kevin.

There are a shit load of factor as to why.

We changed out of desperation. Hunger and panic are great catalysts for change.

There needs to be real change from the bottom and top to really get this ball rolling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
TCIA (our national arborist association) EXPO in Baltimore MD, November 9th through the 12th.

I don't have facts and figures to dispute that, but in general, afaik, usa has an immensely greater environmental awareness and respect than China. Certainly we make plenty of mistakes or arguably poor decisions. Certainly there are Chinese folks who understand that respect for the environment is a key component to quality of life. But in general, the overarching vibe I take from china (based on what I read and from talking to some folks who have visited there), China doesn't give a flying F about environmental issues unless they are bitten hard in the ass by them. Witness their legendary air pollution, the breakneck pace they are building coal fired power plants, the 3 Gorges Dam debacle, the entire cities they've built that are completely unoccupied. Maybe I am wrong but afaik, China is a cautionary tale for humans and planet Earth.

And, in true chinese fashion, it is a question of yin and yang- opposite qualities within the same being. In addition to the environmental atrocities they are know for, they also pioneered acupuncture, chinese herbal medicine, the gentle arts of nature appreciation.

From what I have read, it appears that the US is going to run out of water, because they have drained on aquifer after the other by using the water to irrigate fields faster than it can be replaced.

How does that fit in with " Greater environmental awareness"?

Jeezus, if an American said the sky was blue you people would argue that too.

Yes, I agree that the American PEOPLE are among the more environmentally conscious.

Not to say that we are not attacking the wrong windmills, but we ain't flushing our turds into the Med either.

From what I have read, it appears that the US is going to run out of water, because they have drained on aquifer after the other by using the water to irrigate fields faster than it can be replaced.

How does that fit in with " Greater environmental awareness"?

It fits in with "Certainly we make plenty of mistakes or arguably poor decisions."

Give Sylvia our best wishes for a great presentation. I have been impressed with her interest and passion for tree care since she started classes at Bottineau.

Have a trip planned in January to another soils health conference.

Its so neat to learn something new, as I do every time I go.

Interesting thing about our little place here at home. We planted 240 acres here to covers, and it did pretty poorly.

Even though it was poor, and after getting 30+ inches of rain, it has done a job.

Normally our pond should be plumb full, not a drop in it. Also, our basement should have about 5 gallons a minute running into it. Not a drop.

The water did not run off the fields, well, very little of it did. What did run was clear. All of this water that should be flooding the pond and basement is trapped somewhere.

I am worried that it is waiting for me to let my guard down, setting up a trap. I just dont know where it all went.

Sure it may just be a fluke, but even my first year of raising lousy cover crops seems to have made a difference. Dad went flying the other day and said that anyone who fallowed the ground has huge lakes standing in their fields. Mine are free of standing water.

If there were ever a year to make a comparison, this was it. Some locations have received as much as 40 inches of rain since spring. It has ruined our wheat and lentils, none of which will be harvested now.

The water did not run off the fields, well, very little of it did. What did run was clear. All of this water that should be flooding the pond and basement is trapped somewhere.

I am worried that it is waiting for me to let my guard down, setting up a trap. I just dont know where it all went.

You are hilarious!

Anyway that is awesome and fascinating about the water situation.

Btw, you never let your guard down, afaik:/:

Back